Heartburn

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and started on a course of

Carbimazole which bought me out in a rash. I have never experienced such

Itchiness and swelling before. I was stopped the carbimazole and three days

Later had such pains I was sent to accident and emergency for them to find no

problems and could not diagnose the pain since I have not been able to eat without

pain. I revisited to doctors to be given some tablets for acid reflux these did

not help that much. The other day I was perscribed propylthioracil and the pain

seems to be going and I have started eating.....porridge.

I have looked at diets that help can anyone give me first hand details?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my sympathies. The hospital won't help much, they don't understand the nature of our disease.

avoid wheat, that aggravates things, as does aspartame...badly.

my itchiness is helped by taking petition at the first onset of an itch session. Later you will have scratched raw otherwise.

dab badly itchy areas with sudocream, that's the best light relief!

a

Avoid strong wash stuff, in clothes bath and shower. Be careful with skin products.

everything in your system goes into overdrive with the hyperactivity, and extra hormones flooding your blood.

be aware of triggers.

its a process, there's no magic cure.

but you're not alone.

im sure others have good advice too.find what works for you X 

• Posted

I ussually get the itchyness when I'm over dosing on methimazole. I was put on 30mg per day and after a month I got that itchyness.  Meaning my t4 and t3 are geting the hypo symtoms but my TSHstill not registering(still hyper). the dr endo and told me to stop methimazole but i did a lot of googling.  Just need to lower the dose of the methimazole.  Also with that lowered dose you gotta help your body compensate and not eat food that aggrevateds your hyper. iodine, caffeine, processed foods, only natural food s free of pesticides and toxin.  I did get heartburn when i was hyper prior diagnoseed.  But you gotta keep taking carbimazole to lower your heartburn.  I dont know what happen with our digestive tract when hyper that gives us hearthburn.... glad i dont have that anymore 
  • Posted

I've also got acid reflux for the first time in my life.  I'm going for an endoscopy next week.  I also think it's thyroid or cabimazole related.  Carbimazole is not a safe drug - read the leaflet - and it's also making my white cells low.  I'm having a thyroidectomy so I can come off it.  Side effects with thyroxine are unheard of and that's only to the preservative.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.