Heartburn after treatment with ibuprofen

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had a bad UTI and doc told me the best thing for pain relief is ibuprofen, yes it did help with the pain but now I am left with chronic heartburn all the time, I wa tking ibuprofen for 2 weeks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs are a no go area for those of us with acid problems. We're pretty much limited to paracetamol and co-codamol unless it's serious when you couls be prescribed a stronger opioid.

You may have some serious scarring (oesophagitis) which should heal up with a course of acid suppressants. Talk to your GP. He may want to send you to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy to ensure no permanent damage has been done (eg Barrett's oesophgaus).

• Posted

Hi Valerie, not sure if you have seen one of my posts about pills and the effect they were having on my stomach. Within an hour of taking ibuprofen my insides were so painful, I was convinced it was something awful, I also found the various vitamin supplements I took were doing the same thing so have stopped everything and my insides are much happier. As Barretts say's take an acid suppresant like raniditine OTC which will help and get checked out.
    • Posted

Tank you for replying, this is the strange thing though, I didn't have it WHILE I was taking them I just have it now, can't make it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.