Heartburn & Anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, is constant heartburn related to anxiety???

I suffer with health anxiety, a lot!!! And having this constant heartburn isn't helping matters!! Can anyone help!!!!

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I hope this helps, Laura. Your health anxiety could be related to feeling that you necessarily have to rely on drugs and doctors to remedy any physical problem.  Our body has tremendous recuperative powers to heal itself if we just get out of the way. It's such a temptation to rely on doctors and drugs for too many situations. We often think that the answer will always  come via these means. Often, matters are made worse. If I were you, Laura, I would resist the temptation to take drugs and use doctors for this and do two things. (1) Do nothing and see if the ailment will go away by itself. (2) Calmly figure out what foods are causing the problem to modify the present condition and for the future.

• Posted

How long should I wait to see if it passes naturally? I'm convinced it's my heart which totally freaks me out and it just makes matters worse !

• Posted

Hi Laura. I didn't realize that you were convinced that you had a heart problem. Often heart burn and heart problems have similar symptoms. I know you realize that freaking out about this isn't helping. Perhaps, this will help.  If you haven't done this already, go to the internet and google symptoms of heart problems and see if this matches up with what you are experiencing. I know it will calm you down if the only thing you find is the heartburn. Other than that, I don't know what to do except to try and find a way of calming down. That in itself has the potential to do a lot of good.

• Posted

Believe me I've googled symptoms of heart problems and apart from the chest pain which is in the centre of my chest I don't have any other symptoms, I keep telling myself if it was a heart problem surely I'd know about it by now ???

First thing in the morning I don't suffer atall but after breakfast it slowly creeps up on me, I'm trying to eat smaller portions to see if that helps,

• Posted

Based on what you just wrote, it sounds to me that you are not suffering from a heart probelm. Good luck with what you are doing to solve this miserable afliction. 
    • Posted

Thank you Dave for your advice and kind words , please can we keep in touch periodically so I can get some comfort ?
    • Posted

I am very glad that you appreciated my comments. I have had problems with periodic bloating and started to panic about having stomach cancer. I am pretty sure that it was the combination of anxiety and diet that was causing the problem and that I wasn't suffering from stomach cancer. Am well on the way to not having the problem anymore.

Will definitely keep in touch periodically. Good luck.

• Posted

I feel for you as I know how you feel it's so suffocating, your words have been really helpful

• Posted

Again, I'm glad to be of help. We both need to hang in there. Sooner or later both of us are going to get to the cause of our ailments and get rid of them for good.

• Posted

Yes unfortunately they are very closely linked. I take 10mg of Lexapro for the anxiety it has really helped. But I would try a natural alternative first like St. John's wort. I've been on med for 2 1/2 yrs and I want to come off but I still have reflux so I know I can't at the mo.

Dom

• Posted

I bought some St. John's Wort but I read really bad side effects as it really put me off.

Have you tried Nexium ???

• Posted

Hi Laura

Yes I have tried nexium and other ppis. They didn't help me. In fact they made me worse!! I call them the devils drug. Everyone's on them and no one can get off them. I think the only people who should be on them are people with ulcers. They really need them. They made me more anxious, constipated and they can be chest pains. Plus I still had reflux and couldn't sleep at night!

I managed to find natural alternatives that help me live with reflux. But hey u r right the more we focus on something the worse it can feel. I had chronic low back pain for 18 yrs and I never sat down in evening I always lied down to watch TV but when reflux hit I couldn't lay down any more and I was forced to sit. My focus went away from the back pain and hey I don't get chronic back pain anymore. The pain wasn't in my head, it was very real but cos I focused on it so much I was creating signals from brain to back and almost keeping it alive thru my thought process. The mind is very powerful. Now what we have to do is focus a lot less on the reflux. There's always hope!

Dom 😊

• Posted

Also I was on St. John's for 3 yrs and it worked very well for me. I didn't go on it for the anxiety because I had forgotten about St. John's wort. My only side effect was more pigmentation on my face!

• Posted

Laura, know that you are not alone and big question. Just exactly r u eating for breakfast?
    • Posted

cause that could be why you r having reflux does it have gluten? If not try maybe digestive enzymes maybe you need help processing the food. Try to eat more leafy greens they help us produce gastric juices.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.