heartburn regularly and coughing mucus up constantly what can I do about it what is causing it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am coughing up thick mucus what would be causing that and where is it coming from feels like it's in my throat.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do you do breathing exercise to cough up mucos? If not , start now.  Once you clear your lungs you may have releaf from constant coughing.Also a hot shower will help move the mucos from your lungs but you have to cough it up.  

Drink LOTS of fluid .. water is best.   Use over the counter acid.

reducer when needed.  I use a nebulizer but I still need to move the mucos from my lungs myself.  Also some doctors recommend taking musonex.  Try it daily.. can hurt.  It is about trial and error but that mucos in the lungs has to come up or you may get infections.   I have and early morning coughing spell and an evening one but only cough occasionally during the day.. I'm ok with that.  If you doctor is not helping you.. go to another.

• Posted

Also worth advising that if taking antacids, be careful to read the drug leaflet (or internet version) if you are also taking antibiotics. A few of the antibis have cautions about mixing antibi and antacid - usually only to the extenet that a gap of a couple of hours should elapse between taking an antibi and taking an antacid. I know it applies to azithromycin and I seeem to recall it also applies to some/all of the fluoroquinolones.

If I need an antacid I usually take Omeprazole (brand name "Miracid in the UK and some other countries) as it lasts most of the day so there is only one conflict point to remeber to "mind the gap"

• Posted

Mimi,  regarding the heartburn do you know why that would be a problem with bronchiectasis or other lung issues?  Wouldn't that be a separate issue altogether like acid reflux or Gerd and do either of those have anything to do with the BX?  I've just never read that anybody had that problem on this BX forum.  I have had it myself not badly enough for the Omeprazole and drink tons of water when I get it or as u say an OTC acid reducer helps.  I haven't been tested for it but suspect it's acid reflux which does cause coughing but is it caused or is it a symptom of BX or just a separate issue?

Tabatha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.