Heat or ice?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

Someone mentioned putting heat on the knee on a different thread and I wondered what everyone's thoughts/experiences are on this?

i am 15 weeks post TKR and still have a bit of swelling and it gets warm so I ice and elevate still a few times a day.  Would heat help me or not?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My medical group says absolutely no heat on the tp or sides of the leg.....only ice.heat on underside of knee occassionally to allow tissue to the loosen. Apparently heat causes swelling and disturbs nerve endings. Due to their emphatic warnings i have never even attempted.
  • Posted

Heat is for muscles a lot later down the line quads and calves but not on knee. Stick to ice for reducing pain swelling and stiffness.
  • Posted

No, no heat on the knee, just ice and elevate. You'll probably want heat later on, if your calf starts to hurt (like a pulled muscle). BUT ask first. If your incision has healed massage with cocoa butter, Bio Oil or Palmers cocoa butter helps a lot with the swelling. Massage helps break up any scar tissue that forms. I am 18 weeks PO and find massaging helps a lot!!  I still have some swelling and warmth even after 18 weeks. Remember this is a long road to recovery and we all deal with it differently. Onward, one day at a time. wink
  • Posted

I see everyone is saying no to heat...but ar my physio they give us warm moist bags to lay on and under the knees before we start exercising. Loosens the muscles and tendons..only thing i was told is NO heatinf pads as the heat is too direct for the metal implants which conduct the heat...they sais a hot water bottle or those bean things that you can heat in the microwave are ok...but alternate with ice.....
    • Posted

I have always been told no because heat can cause bleeding and swelling. Ice contracts the tissue while heat expands. My surgeon specifically mandates no heat to the top of the leg/knee. Feels good but harmful in the long run.
  • Posted

I am 2 years down the road, my knee feels like a lump of cold metal and it is swollen. I use heat.  It works.  At the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable with.  You don't know until you try it.  If your knee is HOT and swollen, then yes, it makes sense to ice
  • Posted

heat on back of knee only - to help with loosening muscle behind knee for extension.
    • Posted

2 years down the line on the latest TKR and heat works for me, even on hot days. 
  • Posted

Thanks guys. Going to go with the majority and stick to my ice. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.