Heavily drinking for 10 or so years and suspected pancreatitis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Im 34 and a mother and wife. I wont lie, I have not had the smoothest road through life in terms of poor relationships that led to years of stress. During the last ten or so years I have been drinking, I used to drink at weekends and go all out to het drunk with friends. As I gre up I started to do this less but started drinking at home. This increased over time and became my go to. Doesnt help that my mum and brother and thos e around drink heavily too so its kind of in my eyes been normal. Thing is I know it isnt normal and in my own mind ive questioned my drinkign but never stopped. There have been periods (rarely) where I dont drink for a month, a few days here and there more likely now. I used to suffer panic disorder and anxiety from stress which i know alcohol didnt help so i stopped for 4 months last year. Later last year I got very down, not always easy with my husband and I turned to drinking wine every night, for a couple of months it was two bottles of wone a night. I cut down and most weeks I drink a bottle a night with maybe a day or two off every other week if i am being honest. I am scared, Im angry at myself for beign a selfish cow. I have been getting bad indigestion type pains on and off for a few months now but not consistently. Last four weeks been getting more regular and today I was sent to hospital. Had bloods done and chest and abdo xrays and all clear but going in on Thursday for ultrasound and more bloods. Dr suspects Pancreatitis, I am terrified! Terrifed that this is it for me, that I have chucked my life away and wont be the mum and wife my family deserve. I am a good mum and I love my husband, I also exercise regulary and eat well so im even more annoyed with myself that I drink so much. Im not entirely convinced i am addicted just gotten used to having a drink t the end of the day.

i know people will judg and think im selfish and stupid and i know, i just needeto be able to put it out somewhere because my drinking has been worrying me for a long time incase it affected my health and life span with my family. Im so afraid that it will be worst case scenario i really dont know what to do.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't beat yourself up - yes, drinking can cause pancreatitus but millions of people drink far more than you and never get it. However, if you are diagnosed with pancreatitus you have to stop drinking. Forever. Your pancreas will no longer be able to deal with alcohol any more. It's harsh but it is what it is. I was never a big drinker but I did enjoy a glass of wine with a meal and I miss that. But I'd rather be breathing and not in constant pain. It's not easy but you can do it.

• Posted

Thank you x I agree, better to be breathing and living and being with my loved ones. If it turns out to be that I will stop and if not I will be reducing my consumption considerably. Have spoke to GP today who suggests not drinking for 3-4 weeks either way.
  • Posted

I could of written this story myself. I've had 7 years now of upper abdo pain and nothing has been diagnosed. All tests clear. It's worse after alcohol and stress. I'm on amitryptiline now which helps but I still dont know what is wrong, ibs & gastritis GP thinks now. All this should of made me quit drink completely but it hasn't. I have cut down lots but I'm struggling to stop all together. I just deal with the pain now. I'm also 34 and have 3 children. I've been drinking a bit more since I split with my daughters dad but my pains have been better so I'm hoping its because I'm not as stressed!

If you want to chat I'm on fb Natalie Francesca Gowing feel free to message me.

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying X

Sorry to hear you're suffering too and with no real diagnosis, must be incredibly frustrating!

I saw a GP today before I go for scans tomorrow and I was really honest about my consumption and she told me that yes my drinking is far too much but I don't have to stop completely just cut down and try not to drink every day. Was pretty shocked by that. She has asked for my bloods so she can check and talk to me about my amalase levels and stuff.

I too think stress makes it worse, I wonder if you have an ulcer? My mum had these symptoms years ago and turned it to that.

Did your tests show the alcohol had any bearing on it?

• Posted

The tests didn't show anything I've had endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasounds, tons of bloods, stool samples, ct, MRI! Nothing flagged up on anything. Gastritis or ulcer should of shown on my endoscopy but I had that test right at the start of all this 7 years ago so thinking perhaps it wasn't visible then. I should go for another really but I hated the procedure!

Stress 100% makes me worse. I'm so much better since I left my partner. I do still get pain after alcohol but no where near as bad.

I've read up so much about pancreas over the last 7 years and it is quite rare to get chronic pancreatitis without acute attacks first, and also to get it from drinking what we do unless we were born with a pancreas malfunction like divism or something which would show on an MRI scan. Or if pancreas problems are in your family.

My family are also heavy drinkers so I never felt I was doing any harm but I'm clearly doing something!

Let me know the outcome of your scans.

• Posted

Yeah gotta stop drinking, give yoir body atleast a 6 month rest, better be safe than sorry.
  • Edited

I had pancreatitus when I was 25 after years of heavy drinking. I stopped drinking after a hospital stay and I was fine. I stayed sober for about 5 years and have been drinking now for about 15. Low and behold it came back 2 weeks ago. I dodged a bullet and did not have to go into the hospital. Talking with everyone on this website they /we all say the same thing. You / We / I cannot drink ever again. I know it sucks but its life or death. I was scared to death 2 weeks ago. Hang in there and dont drink!
    • Posted

Wow that's so scary rolleyes Sorry it happened to you and twice! You're very very lucky that you're ok. I'm torturing myself over it all and have to go back in tomorrow as the scan wasn't booked correctly so I'm hoping I'll have some answers, definitely not fancying a drink though!

• Posted

Amazing how the desire to drink goes away when something like this happens.
    • Posted

Absolutely! Makes me think it's mind over matter in my case

• Posted

hey! so you sound a lot like my experience (except mines worse /:) i am 25 now and have had pancreatitis twice. i quit drinking both times and i got super drunk this past weekend for the first time in forever but now im scared because, well... im getting that feeling again. i always get it really bad in my sides and back as well as my front. i did notice you saying that you dodged a bullet and didnt have to go to the hospital! thats great! how did that happen for you ? my pain is nowhere NEAR what it was the other two times and i really really cannot go to the hospital again.. also how did you quit cold turkey ? or did you slow down to a halt ? and also did you withdrawal heavily ? please answer !!! anyone !

• Posted

I'm very lucky I've been checked and scanned and I'm all clear! It seems they aren't sure what's wrong but the pain is shifting and suspected muscle injury but I am so so grateful and I really will be making a proper plan to cut down the drinking and have spoken to a gp to as I k ow I'm not addicted but it could go that way if I keep drinking as much

• Posted

Hi, long story short, I was diagnosed with Pancrearitis 7 years ago, and stopped drinking immediately thereafter.

My problem is, that I still experience terrible pain to this day! The only thing that relieves the pain is taking a tranquilizer, but as I don't have medical cover, Doctor's don't want to prescribe them for me without going through ALL the testing again, which I cannot afford!!!

Let me just clarify, that I only take 0.25 mg when I really can't take the pain anymore, so I am by no means addicted. I used to get half a pill when needed from my Mum, but she has unfortunately passed away.

So here's my question - does ANYBODY have suggestions for more easily accessible relief from the pain? I am at my wit's end....

• Posted

Oh bless you, and thank you so very much! Are these available at a Pharmacy without prescription?
    • Posted

Prescibed ones are better because they are stronger, but you can also get them without prescription
    • Posted

So sorry I don't have an answer for you. I just hope you find relief X

• Posted

Thanks anyway, and I hope there's a light at the end of your tunnel Q's well :-)

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your suffering from pain. I know about your frustration with the non-insurance problems, since I have had to deal with that several times myself. Currently I have insurance, but will have a ridiculous deductible at the start of 2017. ($6700) just for meds. which I can't afford. There are some Palliative care centers in some locations associated with hospice centers that treat patients that are NOT dying, just those who are suffering with chronic illnesses. Good luck and stay strong.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advice, but I am in South Africa, and we don't have that luxury.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.