Heavy lifting

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone work in a supermarket on shop floor and has had a hip replacement.  If you have did you manage to get back to work ok?

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think that's a bit of a no-no - see information posted in the THR useful resources thread I think.

Graham

• Posted

Yes, it's in the "Royal College of Surgeons patient leaflet about recovery:"

then select the "Planning for your  return" bar on the left.

Depending on the nature of your job, you might want to ask your employer about returning to work on lighter duties at first. This means:

spending more time sitting, rather than standing or doing lots of walking.

doing work that is mostly paperwork, using a computer or telephone.

not carrying heavy items significant distance.

avoiding tasks such as prolonged loading or unloading, packing or unpacking.

Graham

• Posted

Thank you,

That'll be my job gone then, every dept has had hours cut, I also have anxiety problems, so done nothing but cry this last week, because of worries over my job, mainly because we have no savings and we only have 4yr left on the mortgage.  I can't go on tills, I can't cope with them.

I suppose there is one good thing, I bought a walking stick, the week after finding out, that I had severe osteoarthritis in my left hip on Nov 3rd.

It has made a big difference, I have been on a 7mile, 9mile and 6 mile walks, with just niggly pain.  Before the stick I would try for my 5mile but more often than not had to phone home when I couldn't walk. Sometimes only a mile.

I have been more comfortable at work too, though I still get a lock up now and again.

I see the consultant on the 8th Dec, so I'm hoping he just says to carry on as I am. I will have to wait and see.

• Posted

I had a knee arthroscopy nearly 6yr ago, which is why I think I have this problem, been limping since then.(was my other knee) but I did keep my job then, shorter hours but still went home crying for a week or two.
    • Posted

You should try to talk to your employer, it's not your fault that you are unable to do heavy work in the short term.  

Regards

Graham

• Posted

I have been talking to some people and one friend knew a farmer and he got back to work. I have decided now that if the consultant says I would be better to have it now, I'm going to go for it.  I've stopped stressing about it,just making myself ill over something that may not happen.
    • Posted

I'm sure you are making the right decision - good luxk for a speedy and pain free recovery.

Graham

• Posted

I used to I had my first hip op in May I returned to work on 22nd July, Morrison's were excellent I was a cashier they made sure I did no lifting only allowed to sit on till, phase to return work only meaning they would only let me work part time made sure I did no heavy lifting or stretching I took retirement in August because I knew that I was going to have the other hip done and I am glad I did take retirement, as Graham said the leaflet about recovery at 6_8 weeks 2 hrs administrative work only
  • Posted

Also had go through occupational health procedure to make sure I was okay, I could of retired in January only stayed on till when I had my op in May so I could get my full 10 weeks sick pay
    • Posted

There is no way I can retire, I have to be 67yr, so quite a few year yet.

I'm pleased things have worked out for you.  I was told 3month off work by the physio because of the job I do, so think I will be stressed till doc tells me.

I had phased return when I did my knee in.

• Posted

I share your worries - I'm a Care Worker and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do.

Im now 7 weeks post op and no-where near able to walk without my crutch have managed to get it down to just the one crutch but waddle like a duck if I don't use any.

My Drs note covers me up till 7th Jan so I suppose another 5 weeks might make a difference but I'm not convinced!!!

Cant see anyone wanting a clapped out Care Worker looking after their relatives 😩

• Posted

Poor you, yesterday I had a very tearful couldn't explain it, but today feel a lot better, Graham took me out to lunch which made a nice change. With my first hip At 7 weeks I only walked with 1 crutch in the house but used 2 whilst out but those extra 5 weeks you should soon start to see a difference, just try not to rush it which is so easily done. I am only 2 weeks post op and right at this moment my hip is telling me it wants some more pain killers love lyn xx
    • Posted

You have to go with what your body needs, I know when I had my knee op, the surgeon said be fine and back to work in 2 weeks, I couldn't walk it took longer.  Everybody is different.

Are you a home carer dalmation or work in a home? My daughter works in a home and she does 12hr shifts, which I think is the norm, but home carers can have a lot of running about to do to.  My hubby is a home carer,he does not have enough work though, which is another reason I don't want to lose my job.

• Posted

I'm on the community Lynn so rushing about in and out of houses 12 hour shifts.

I have to say though that to be pain free in one hip is marvellous so I'm glad I had the op.  Still got to have other hip done and seeing Consultant about that in March

• Posted

Long hours, hubby goes house to house, he does not have many calls though.

I wouldn't hesitate to go for it if we were financially better off.

• Posted

I'm lucky in that the physio said the other has a big enough gap but it is a funny shape, I had a look at my xray.  He said it's the muscle with that hip but can't do anything until the other is sorted. AtleastI don't need that done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.