Heavy periods

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was told I'm iron deficient, my period has started today and it has already flooded through 2 layers of sanitary towels, my underwear and clothes. I was prescribed ferrous fumarate but I don't know how to fit this in with my thyroid medication, I take Levothyroxine100mcg but had a blood test to check thyroid function on Wednesday, I have not heard anything back yet and my constipation is worse despite me drinking more water and eating enough fruit and veg. I am now very thirsty and feel tired all of a sudden.

Ferritin is 19 range 30 to 400 and Dec test results for thyroid were in range but my endocrinologist said I was still under treated because she wants my TSH at around 1. So am I now anaemic? Doctor says I am but my red blood cell count is normal which means I'm not anaemic thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My periods are the same my ferritin level is 13 andni am on 630 mg of ferrous sulphate a day. I feel shocking worn out and tired.
  • Posted

my feritin levels are 13.
    • Posted

Thank you, I am meant to be taking the iron 3 times a day but because I take the thyroid medication every day but at different times due to me having to fit things I need to do around my thyroid medication dose.

I want my doctor to let me have iron infusions but all my other blood test results are normal except MCHC which was low. Doctor said nothing to this result so I'm nervous in going back to them to say I haven't taken my iron because I know they will tell me off. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.