Heel walking - any problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I had a double bunionectomy on Friday (July 1st) so am 3 days post-op. Seem to be coping ok, pain meds are keeping things at bay but the thing I have been struggling most with is the heel walking. I was given the special boots in hospital and shown by the physio how to walk slowly and go up down stairs etc. however I am so anxious about the discomfort I feel when I walk on them. Everytime I feel like I'm straining my foot, so I'm wondering is there a way you can really damage anything using the boot? I've waited 14 years for this surgery and am terrified I'm going to do something to screw it all up. The discomfort has significantly reduced today, not sure if that's just general pain reduction or whether my technique is getting better. I would love to hear of anyone elses experience with using these on a double bunionectomy?? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi,

​i had my double bunionectomy and both of the 2nd and3rd metatarsals done last tuesday (28th june). I too coped ok with pain killers  which i am not taking so often know, 6 days in. Also i had the boots and crtches like yourself and found heel walking difficult as i was not sure that i was putting too muchpressure on my feet. i asked about this and they said it was ok, i think in the first few days it was more of the weight of having something on the area that has been stapled or stiched. I go this thursday to have the dressings taken off and staples out so will let you know what they say....

• Posted

Hi

I had left side keyhole bunion surgery just under 3 weeks ago. For the first 2 weeks I found it impossible to heel walk!! It felt like I had horrendous pins and needles feeling all along the bottom of my foot! I, like you, was also concerned I'd damage my foot by walking in the boot so that out me off trying harder.

After I had my bandages removed 2 weeks after my op I was determined to get heel walking. I gave it a go the day after the bandages were removed and I had no problem. It was found that the bandages had been too tight and restricting my blood flow thus causing the pins and needles!!

What kind of discomfort do you feel when trying to heel walk.

I couldn't have done both feet together! I could get my other one done now as i feel ok with the one ive just got done. I'm nearly 3 weeks post op but I have to wait as I have 3 children to ferry to and from school!! I can drive around now as I have an automatic car and don't need my left foot but getting the right one done I need it for the excellorator and brake!

Good luck with your walking

• Posted

Thanks! The pain I feel is like a pulling/stain at the top of my big toe or the area where the stitches are at the top of the foot. It's not too painful, more just a straining/pulling/uncomfortable feeling. But this has definitely reduced since yesterday. My mum was helping me last night and thought my crutches were too low so heightened them, so I'm not sure if the improvement is due to reduction in pain, better technique, the heightened crutches, or all of the above. 

It's comforting to know that eveyone else has expeienced some form of discomfort in heel walking as it's been really stressing me out. I'm generally quite an anxious person anyway so was bound to be worrying about something!! 

• Posted

I get that pulling pain too. I think it's the boot rubbing on top where it was pinned in place. Sometimes I just can't stand walking on my heel if I've been on my feet a lot so I go back to getting round on my bum and hands lol or crawling ??. Usually happens at the end of the day. I'd love to give it a soak in the bath really!! But can't yet though ??

I was getting very stressed too about heel walking as surgeon said I'd be heel walking straight away and with the pins and needles pain I thought there was a problem. Like maybe something had gone wrong. I'm really anxious as a person so I was put of my mind

• Posted

Hello

I had both feet done seven months ago, scarf and akin procedures.  I had the same feeling, I remember it well, for the first two weeks or so.  I did not do any damage by heel walking. I used crutches to help take the strain and went up and down the stairs on my behind.  I also had a lot of throbbing when the feet were not elevated.  This will go in time, I think it was about six weeks or so when standing felt not too bad.  I was able to wear Ugg Boots or Go Walk trainers at this time.

Seven months on my feet are looking good.  Some swelling at the end of the day is sometimes there, but they so much better than before the operation.  Worth the pain and discomfort so far.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you, 14 years is a long time to wait.

• Posted

Hi Ozzycee. I had both feet done. Two weeks apart. But was given surgical shoes. I was heel walk ok just been taking it very slow. It gets frustrating but if I try to move faster I will just make my feet hurt more. I been getting around ok with out any crazy strains.

I heel press into a pillow and it seems to help a lot w stretching the muscle and making the foot ache less.

Happy healing

• Posted

Thanks everyone. A real comfort to know I'm not the only one.

Feeling much better today, it might just be that the pain is easing off anyway, or that I'm relaxing a bit more but it's definitely less uncomfortable and straining. 

Did anyone else experience itching? I'm 4 days post-op today and I can feel it itching like crazy where the incision was and on my toes - eek! 

• Posted

Glad to hear you're feeling better today. Are u managing heel walking at all?

I didn't experience any itching mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.