Hello

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had a severe accident on 2003, where my right leg had broken badly. I was treated more than 2 months & had been operated twice. I had also physiotherapy many days but coudn't bend my leg (knee stiffed). Still I cant bend my right leg. I can able to ben only 3 or 4 inches. Now is there any way so that I can bend my leg properly. I know its too late but is there any option to get it back.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I'm

Not sure about any professional answer but I experienced this a few years ago, I got back to 100 degree bend by working through the pain with physio, pushing the boundaries every day, forcing the muscles to flex and the more you do it the easier it becomes, obviously you may be past this and more aggressive surery may be required but I thought I'd share what I did to get through it.

3 weeks ago I got a knee replacement at 32 years old, I'm already walking great with no sticks, I have 90 degree bend and about to try an exercise bike, all this made possible by pushing harder than possible every hour every day.

Good luck and try to keep positive

• Posted

Try Hydrotherapy - that will get any joint moving. If your health authority doesn't offer this go to the children's pool which is always a little bit warmer and you'll be amazed. xx
    • Posted

Thanks again. I really dont have any idea about hydrotherapy. Would you guys help me to let know little more. Thanks
  • Posted

Hydrotherapy is simply exercising in a shallow pool of warm water. You don't need to be able to swim but if you are a non swimmer then it would be better to take someone who swims with you. There are many videos on you tube by psysios doing the execises.
  • Posted

Hydrotherapy is absolutely great.

I had TKR 3 years ago and could not wait to get back in the pool.

Sarah

• Posted

Just back from my first hydro therapy session as I'm 3 weeks post TKR.

It was really good, it works muscles like you won't at home, small amount of work means large amounts of strengthening

• Posted

With a TKR, I added a TRACK bar to my home PT regimen.  It allows me to micro control a bend in my knee  -- pulling the lower leg incrementally closer to my body (while sitting).  I gained a lot of ROM using it that I don't think I would have otherwise.  It might work for you, but it would be very slow -- you have a lot of distance to go.  Tendons and muscle will stretch, bones won't, so, if there are no structural impediments maybe this kind of thing would work.   It's a simple gadget  -- looks like a big horseshoe with a rail on the bottom. 
    • Posted

do I have to replace my knee before I go for hydrotherapy.
  • Posted

One possibility is that this is scar tissue that has developed over the years from so much surgery and that that another surgery to free some of it and then immediate work with a physical therapist to keep it loose and expand on the surgery. You would need an MRI and evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon that specilizes in that sort of thing. Ask a lot of questions as to who can help. Teaching medical center's generally have a person like this on staff
    • Posted

Honestly, I am now very much scared about  surgeries. I already had 3 on the same place. Now really dont want to go under knife anymore. Just looking alternative options.
    • Posted

That would be the very last action you would want I'm sure. No one wants to think of having to get cut on. On the advice of my surgeon, I had a one hour massage tosy. I can already feel less tension in the hamstring and lower back. I'd love to be able to afford this on a regular basis but sure helps. I'm going back in a couple of weeks just to try and keep it loose to help facilitate physical therapy
    • Posted

Too many surgeries (11) on the left knee and leg. They were caused by a rare tumor. Let me send you an e mail as many on here have heard this story as nauseum
    • Posted

Oh i see. Are you ok now? Like regular movements & everything is normal? My case is different. I had accident & broke two legs (Left upper thigh & right whole knee) Now having dificulties on right leg. Can only bend few inches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.