Hello all !

Posted , 5 users are following.

Happy New Year to everyone

I have been back from Lanzarote since Sunday but havent felt like posting as I came back from a very good holiday with a Suntan , a sore throat and a bad cough !!

The plane going out sounded like a Doctors waiting room in January I have never heard so many people coughing !! and 3 children behind us sounded as though they had whooping cough !! So I was prepared but luckily the throat didnt start till Friday I am a bit paranoic ( I admit ) about catching bugs as I dont want anything to upset my reduction programme This week I have therefore cancelled all outings and rested a lot and the only extra aches have been where I have been coughing a lot A couple of friends I should have seen turned out to have spent Xmas ill so I was lucky

As January was such a bad month for me last year I thought here we go again back to 15mg !!! but so far so good and should be completely on 3.5 within 2 weeks on my own individual reduction plan ( My husbands eyes were glazing over when I explained it to him !! Or perhaps it was all the extra alchohol on holiday !! )

Ive another week to go before my blood test so hopefully all germs will have gone by then

Its taken ages to catch up on all of the posts (when you have a woolly head ) but hope to be joining in again now

Best wishes to all for a pain free New Year

Mrs G

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Mrs G

Happy New Year to you, too. But, oh dear, you were supposed to bring the sun back from Lanzarote, not the ailments! :o

I know what you mean about the paranoia - I'm sure we all get like that what with our PMR and the steroids. I think I would have sat with a scarf around my mouth on that plane and vaseline up my nostrils - weird, I know :roll: but has anyone else heard about that being a bit of protection against the germs? In fact I'm doing the vaseline routine each time I go to the shops at the moment as I've still got some swelling of my glands and the remains of the sore throat and I'm dreading picking up something else in case that, too, takes an eternity to get over. Got a Dr's appointment next Monday which I've waited 3 weeks for so methinks I will have to use the whole jar of vaseline amongst that lot of germs! :roll:

Well done with those reductions - maybe by the time you get to 0mg your husband will have grasped the method!

Hope you feel really well soon.

MrsO

• Posted

Hi Mrs G,

Welcome back & sorry you got the cold & bad throat...my GP maintains that aeroplanes are the worst places for picking up bugs sad .He always prescribes an anti-biotic for us to bring with us when going long-haul just to be covered.

I developed a bad cold whenn we got back from Antigua at the end of November, but managed to get rid of it without having to put my pred up.....took loads of Vitamin C tablets & that worked a treat !!!

So far 2011 has been good as regards my PMR....I reduced to 11mgs on the 1st and am feeling better than I had done all last year :lol: so maybe I will get down a lot more in the next few months....but playing it by ear and not expecting miracles :roll:

My little girl (17) is away in Boston on a school ski trip until next Monday and I can't believe how much I am missing her.....don't think I will ever let her leave home or get married as it is sooooo quiet without her :wink:

Love to all,P auline

• Posted

Mrs G\"Happy New Year to you and everyone

Hope your sore throat and bad cough go away quickly everyone here has the same.

glad to hear you did not have to go back up to 15mg

• Posted

MrsO just before Christmas my chap asked me to go visit his sister so i did and it wasn't till we got there they told me she has shingles i was in a bit of a state thinking i might catch it lucky for me I didn't. Good luck with the doctor i see mine in 2 weeks
  • Posted

hello Pauline

Looks like 2011 is going to be good for you with the PMR reductiongreat to hear that

• Posted

Welcome back Mrs G. By the sound of it you might well have picked up your bug here in the UK anyway - there seem to be so many around, apart from flu ( where I guess most of us have had our flu jabs ). Anyway hope you feel a bit better soon.

I was the other person on this forum who had a \"blip\" this time last year, and went up to 15 briefly to cope. I haven't managed to come down as much as you though. At the moment I am just starting to reduce from 7.5 to 7.0 mgs. But, boy, am I paranoid about repeating the same thing - I have a bit of a snivel at the moment, probably the paranoia, but I keep thinking I'm aching more than usual etc !! :cry: I just don't want to feel I'm back to square one again! sad

Hope your throat etc didn't spoil the holiday too much anyway, and keep well in 2011! Green granny

• Posted

Hello Green Granny and all

No it didnt ruin my holiday Just aggravating as is my cough at the moment !! I was pleased I had managed to go away without any bugs ( or so I thought !)

Yes I remember you and I had the same problems at the same time last year I dont think I would have got down as far as I have without the help of this forum as its taught me a bit of patience when I have seen how so many people have struggled over such a long period of time When I had my first bout of PMR I was fine when I went on the steroids and went from 20mg to 1mg in a year with no blips I dont think I really understood what PMR was This time I realise what Mrs K says is right it comes when it wants and goes when it wants to !!

I didnt have a flu jab ( wasnt offerred one and didnt go looking for one !!) I always wonder if it will trigger something else Hope you dont develop a cold and we dont get any more of that awful cold weather

best wishes

Mrs G

• Posted

Hi Mrs G, after a bit of detective work, I think you might be Rosemary from the New Forest, I am from Sway and would love to be in touch with a PMR lady who lives close to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.