HELP!!!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone. I am allergic to the Fentanyl Adhesive. By the 3rd day that area is red and itchy!! I am allergic to all adhesives. Dr recommend tegaderm clear to put over patch because it kept lifting due to allergy. After I take patch off can anyone recommend anything? It is red and the area has little bumps all over it

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Try asking for a different brand of patch.  Each of the different manufacturers use a different method of delivery and may use different ingredients in the adhesive.  It's worth a try.

Also - try putting the patch on a different place.  I have a similar problem with allergic reactions to adhesives and have found I can't wear the patch on soft skin.  I have only found two places where I can wear it - on the top of my arms (where the skin is tougher from sun exposure) or on the top of my thighs (just above the line of my shorts). If I put it on my thighs I have to use a tape called Fixamul (a strapping tape available in Australia) to stop my clothes from dislodging the patch.

I know what you are going through - it's just a case of trial and error until you find a place that works.

good luck smile

• Posted

Another thought ... Talk to your doctor about changing the patches every 2 days instead of every three.  I am on the 2 day change regime because I go into withdrawals on the third day.  If you can manage 2 days before the allergic reaction kicks in this may be the solution.  The patch can't be working very well on the third day anyway if your skin is swollen and blistered (like mine gets).  Also - never put the patch on the same place twice in a row.  I also clean the area with Isocol (alcohol) before applying.
    • Posted

Hi,

I've been told many times to only clean with water, and always thought alcohol would be the better choice. It must not effect the efficiency or you would've stopped.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi I use medical wipes  which I get from the chemist   its the same wipes that hospitals and doctors /nurses use to clean the area for injections etc  hope this helps you too  Wish you well Jocelyne Cambridge  U.K.
    • Posted

Hi Just read your  write up   I have sent  M S Warrior a long information of my patches because I had issues with the other make (I call a cheaper version)  Mine are  125 mcg/hr i change every 72 hours 

Jocelyne  Cambridge U.K.

• Posted

Hi there Jocelyne, long time no talking to you, how is life treating you??

I just found this thread on the fentanyl site and thought I would add my 2 cents in.  I tried all kinds of alchohol-type substances to get the sticky yuck off my skin from the patch and I found something that is gentle and works MUCH better.  I use a mist suntan oil in a can (not pump bottle) it is called Hawaiin Tropic, you have to get the can...it puts a mist of great oils on the skin and the patch gunk comes off with a little peice of paper towel then.  I have recommended this method to lots of folks who use some kind of patch or another and have heard nothing but success stories.  Not sure if you can get the stuff in the UK, though, so I might not be helping at all....nothing unusual about THAT, I am afraid, but I hope I have given out more good than bad advice on this forum.

Take care sweetie, haven't heard from you in awhile, hope all is well in Bonny Britain!!

Love, Leigh

• Posted

i FORGOT TOSAY  I  HAD TO CHANGE MY P ATCHS THE CHEEP PATCHES WOULD NOT STAY STUCK ON.. BUT THE DUROGISIC FENTNLY PATCHES HAVE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF GLUE.MORE EXPENSIVE. BUT THEY STAY ON.  AND DONT USE TALC

JOCELYNE  CAMBRIDGE UK

• Posted

SORRY why is this site hard to type on to day?  I have been very ill,my hernia has moved higher in my chest.. plus 3 ops.in my throat ihave a narrowing in the windpipe, , having  a lot of low moods.miss my late partner

​I will try the private site  jocelyne

• Posted

I am also allergic to adhesives and there are some brands of fentanyl patch that cause skin issues so severe I am unable to use them. For those patches that irritate my skin, I can use Flonase spray, or something similar, where I plan on putting the patch, allow it to dry and then apply the patch. I change them every 48 hours, or sooner, if my skin gets uncomfortable. Since I am also allergic to codeine and morphine, fentanyl is one of the few options available to me. The Flonase makes good pain management possible.
    • Posted

Hi Just read your patch issue  I have just replied to MS WARRIOR  read my  patch info  hope it helps you too  take care  Jocelyne  Cambridge  U.K.
  • Posted

I'm not on Fentanyl, but I am on the Butrans 10mg patch, and I'm barely on day 1 and was totally fine until I took a shower and now it's uncontrollably itchy where the patch is. I've never been allergic to latex, but I don't know what this adhesive is made of. I'm miserable and don't want to have to take Benedryl and be tired all the time just to be on this for my pain. I guess it comes down to picking pain or itchiness.. Urg! I hope we can both figure something out!
  • Posted

Hello MSWarrior. I know what you are going through. I was injured in Iraq in 2008 and several surgeries and I tried everything to not be on Pain meds. But I have 3 kids and was not able to do the things I wanted to with them. Even getting in the yard for a little while to throw the ball was hard. My doctor talked to me about why I didn't want pain meds( main reason was I didn't want to be tied to a pill every x many times a day and if I miss a dose I feel like crap on top of hurting.) he recommended the fentanyl patch in late 2009 early 2010. And I've been on it since. I've had the same issues. Tried the tegiderm with no success seemed the more sweat got trapped the worse it was. Only thing I've found is 1. Rotate locations every time. 2. Soon as you remove a patch lather that location with high quality lotion twice a day for a couple days. 3. Wash new location with ivory soap, rinse well and dry for about an hour before applying new patch. I still have occasional problem but this has greatly reduced it

• Posted

Hi    Can I ask  are your Fentanyl patches (sorry ) the cheap one  I am on Fentanyl patches  but they are the ones called  Durogesic D Trans - TRANSDERMAL  PATCH  taken off the front of my patch box  I have to change my patches every 72 hours but after taking off the patches  I use medical wipes over the area of the patch,  I can not wear the patches on my left arm because I do get an itchy area which does go red  but strangly on my right arm  near the shoulder area  I wear my patches and I have been on my patches for 5 years now, I wear two patches  total 125 mcg/hr  but when I was on the cheeper version  I did have major issues like you, and they would not stick especialy if I used Talc after a shower.  I hope this helps  When I change my patch my wipes  (just  looked)  are alchol wipes  which I purchase from the chemist.  I always put the patches on the same area each time  (I know they say move them about) but thats my way.

Keep me informed if your on the same patch as mine or the other version.  Wish you well Jocelyne Cambridge  U.K.

• Posted

Hi there.  I am allergic to to the adhesive used on the Mylan brand patches, but not the Watson brand.  Both are generic.  I have found that using alchohol on the redness just makes the reaction worse. Have been on the patch for over 15 years.

I use a spray suntan oil on the place on my skin where the patch has been to rid myself of the adhesive and little fuzz that stays on your skin.  Works better than anything else I have ever tried.  Must be a spray, not a pump for best results. Hawaian Tropic is best I have found.  Good luck!

• Posted

I have to keep my patches 125 mg fentanel patches. 72 hours, I take the patches off say 2-3 hours  i use antiseptic wipes over the area. and allow to dry, then have my shower,  dry off and allow my self to cool down. DONT use talc powder, until you have put the new patches on.  cover with a dry towel  if you want to use talc powder to your body.  good luck  I hope this helps  Jocelyne from Cambridge  UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.