Help!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey! So today I had my clips and splint removed 12 days after complex knee surgery. I'm now panicking cuz I can't bend my knee or raise it. In fact my knee feels quite alien and so stiff. I do start physio on 17th October but I just feel I'm not every going to be right again! Has anybody got any ideas or info they could share with me please. Been told if I don't find the confidence to get my knee moving then I'll have to go back into the theatre to have it manipulated! Really want to avoid this!!! 😨

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Make sure you have pt right away, the longer you wait scar tissue builds up and the more trouble. Do make it a point to go every chance you get and if you have a pool try spending some time moving your leg in the pool!
  • Posted

If this was a TKR, then...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

...welcone to the club.  Normal...normal...normal...and, no, you will never be "right" again....you will be different and good at the same time.  You now have a mechanical device implanted in your body...that's not normal.  However, you can have a great, active life once you've recovered and rebuilt the strength in your legs.  Me?  I've got 4 1/2 pounds of titanium in me at this point (hip, back and knee)...feel more like a Terminator sometimes...

This will not be easy or quick.  It will take perseverance, discipline, and an imdominable spirit to stay focused and strong.  But the good thing is that you can do it; we all have.  Check this group for more of my posts on sleeping, knee slides and zero degrees...hope they help too.  Ring us up anytime.

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

I bet you're popular at airports!! You've hit the nail on the head with the perseverance and discipline. In My opinion the most crucial part of the recovery phase is the mental grit needed to overcome each obstacle.

• Posted

When mine was done they sent me home with a machine that bends your knee.  I was supposed to use it 6 hours a day and you can set it for the bend amount. I used it and increased the bend over time and it really worked.   Ask your doctor if that makes sense. Cathy
    • Posted

Yes i used it too last surgery and it is called a CPM machine and insurance will pay for that, you just rent it from home health place.
    • Posted

and always pump your feet back and forth, it will increase blood flow and prevent blood clots.
  • Posted

Give it a few days. Not sure what you're referring to as a splint but if you haven't moved your knee for almost 2 weeks you aren't going to have strength or flex without help and time. Don't put your body and mind through a lot of unnecessary stress bybworring. Go slow with everything you do and stay calm. Just do muscle tightening and small painless flexing till things start reawakening

• Posted

Thankyou. Yes, that all makes sense. Just so scared of moving it and not moving it, if you understand that! I did roll up a towel and managed to put that under my knee which feels strange!
    • Posted

Do not put a pillow or towel directly behind the knee. Envision having a water hose running then toss it across the top of the fence. See what happens to the water pressure. Blood flow is the same situation......and the result.....blood clots. Another thing to avoid......do not cross your legs or ankles while in bed or sitting in a chair. Can't imagine that being part of basic instructions. I've had more than one year team me out about doing that.

If you want a pillow behind your leg run it top to bottom. That also helps with elevation which is always a good idea.

• Posted

You always want your knee to be straight , the pillows have to be straight under leg, nothing balled up under knee, no matter how good it feels, it will just make you knee more bent and more work to make it straight.  Good luck
  • Posted

yes you are going to have to move it, are you doing PT now, your knee will always feel different from the other knee. You should be able to move it some. Yes you do not want to have to go back into surgery. It will freeze up if you do not move it, it will hurt but unfortunitly that is how it is. God Bless and get well soon.
  • Posted

Thankyou all for your replies. I do start physio on Monday. I'm sure after I've seen and spoke to them that I will feel more confident. I'll keep you posted

• Posted

Great that you're starting PT but do NOT take it lightly.  Most of us have found it to be a long (8-10 weeks @ 2x/wk) and sometimes very painful experience.  The therapists have to help you break down the scar tissue building up in the knee.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

I got stuck at -4 for two weeks...very annoying.  Do not measure your progress day to day...more like month to month.  That's when you notice the big changes.  Do not get depressed; do not give up...period.  Some people take a painkiller and hour before a session...think about it.

Be prepared for:

- Having the PT put a block of wood under you ankle and then pressing down on your knee.

- Lying face down on the table with your knee at the edge and your leg hanging off the end...then they put a 2# weight on your ankle.  Gravity's a bitch.

This is like the Inquisition with dungeon masks and an Iron Maiden in the corner!!!  But that scar tissue MUST be eliminated.  If you want the PTs to be "gentle" I can't see how the work gets done.  Some people may have experienced very little such pain but not most of us.  So be prepared...really...  The hard, hard work is really worth it.

• Posted

I had my clips out last week, and felt the same. I do my exercises when I remember, but I walk with my dogs everyday. The knee gets stiff and painfull and it can be a real bitch. Last night I took two of my 9 year olds through their  Christmas Panto dance for just over and hour and I so pleased with how well my knee stood up to it. We even managed to do a bit of silly dancing and I felt my knee pull and then loosen...maybe broke a bit of scar tissue down. CHICO MARX is very sensible about what he says and I can only add, do a little of what makes you feel good every day. Its not a race, we are not robots despite the titainiun, slow baby steps each day and measure how far you've come.

• Posted

Thankyou so much Lynne and well done with your progression! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.