Help - 18 Months on Diazepam

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

For the past 18 months I have been taking diazepam for my anxiety, but I have also sadly been taking it in an abusive manner. It is not given to me via a prescription, so I can't ask my GP about it coming off it - and my GP is not very understanding of my mental health issues (depression, PTSD) whatsoever. 

I have taken diazepam in varying in doses, some weeks maybe just 10mg, another week maybe up to 150mg. I want to come off it. I feel it's making my depression much worse and I feel disconnected from my surroundings. I am terrfied of any withdrawel symtoms? Some weeks I haven't taken it at all and not really had any problems, but it's never been longer than seven days before I've felt the need to go back on it. Either for anxety, or to escape my reality. 

Can some please advise me how to come off it? Seen as I am on no set dosage, I don't know what to do. I have been particularly bad recently, this week was 90mg total. Please, please, help.

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You need to slowly lower the amount your taking, don't just stop suddenly but slowly bring down the amount until your taking so little that you can stop but you really need to get the Dr to prescribe you a proper anti anxiety or anti depressant medication to help deal with the underlying issues.

You need to ask to see a different GP if yours in not helpful or ask to be referred to the mental health department.

you really need to be honest about the diazepam to a Dr as if they prescribe you something else then the 2 drugs might interact badly and could make you very sick. You don't have to say you've been abusing them as such but say that a friend gave you some to try and you have been using them when needed which happens to be a lot of late.

There are plenty of effective anti depressants out there and diazepam isn't really one of them as you become tolerant and they don't have the same effect meaning u need more and they are addictive.

I'm sure there is also free anonymous places or at least helplines like frank that can advise on withdrawing but your not gonna successfully withdraw if you don't have the right meds from the Dr to fall back on.

Good luck

• Posted

everything that charlotte above said and go to your local A&E and tell them you feel awfull and want to see a dr, explain to the dr there and they'll refer you to the psych team at the hospital or locally who can write to your dr and come up with a plan

you have to be honest about how much youve been averaging the last 6 months or so and will need to taper. its the drug that is making all these symptons worse and you'll be the better when it's out of your system.

• Posted

i couldnt advise a taper shudeule untill i know how much your on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.