help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I don't know what to do I was diagnosed with depression at 15 and struggled for years with self harm in the form of cutting and starvation I managed to stop at 21 but I am now 25 and have everything I could ask for a job a loving partner and 2 beautiful step children so why do I feel the urge to self harm I keep have thoughts about cutting my wrist and starving myself my brain is telling me it's the only way ill be skinny and I know it's wrong but why am I having these thoughts someone help I don't want to loose myself to depression again

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terrie, is a great complement to you that you have managed to beat depression in the past - so you already know that it can be done. 

There could be many reasons why depression is getting the better of you at the moment, but I would urge you not to try and tackle this on your own.

Your first step should be in the direction of your own doctor who, if he/she cannot help you themselves will certainly refer to to someone who can.

There is no need to suffer the way you are - please get help.

• Posted

If you had 3 wishes ...what would you wish for?
    • Posted

1 to not feel this way

2 to loose weight

3 to have a child

• Posted

Good answers .. or rather wishes

Reasonable wishes

I kinda guessed

• Posted

OK ..and what would you say to me? ...how would you help me?

If (IF) ... I said I felt so so miserable ..that I keep having thoughts about cutting my wrist and starving myself because I hate being 50yrs..

What would you say to help me?

• Posted

As a man over 70 who has endured and continues to endure much I would say this. Always try to find the goodness and beauty in things, and never dwell on the negativity in this world. In fact use every positive that you can find as a weapon to destroy the negativity in your mind.

Try to use your life well and don't allow doom and gloom destroy it.

Be positive in everything you do, and regard your life as a one shot free gift for living it to the full and NEVER EVER give up hope.

• Posted

I would say try to enjoy what you have look for things you enjoy to occupy your mind strive to be better and push away your demons. I know I should be able to take my own advice and look at my life and what I have and be grateful but it's easier said then done as anyone with depression knows
    • Posted

Point I'm making Terrie (allbeit through my pretend scenario) is that faced with someone feeling how you sadly and desperately feel ...you would give good advice ..you'd point out to that person how precious they are ..how they should never harm themselves. Right?

So ..applying what you already now ...and using all the good things you have in your life as a focus ...DIG deep and not give into those negative thoughts. Keep yourself safe ..and latch onto the positives ...and know that a thought ..even a negative one is just a thought. You just let these negative thoughts come and go ..and refuse to act upon them.

I bet you are a lively human being ...and I bet too that through your own unfortunate suffering you have many beautiful qualities!

Keep fighting ..and keep believing in yourself ...and don't act upon those negative thoughts...

Hopefully your wishes will come true in time ..but if not all those particular ones you mentioned don't..REMEMBER you can always have other wishes ...and that's OK because no one has all their wishes come true. It doesnt stop you or anyone else from being a lovely person ...and the best people are those that are beautiful on the inside which I'm sure you are!

Take care and have peaceful weekend!

p.s. STAY IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH YOUR GP/CLINICAL PRACTITIONER ...AND GET HOSPITAL SUPPORT IF YOU REALLY NEED TOO!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.