Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey my names Darren

I'm 32 & life is pretty tough at the moment

I worry I won't sleep & every night the anxiety is crazy around getting to sleep. Even though I sleep more then most the fear is always there and I seem to be taking more & more meds. I'm prescribed seroquel & I have some zopiclone. Before I got the zopiclone I managed to take 15 100 mg of serequel as I couldn't sleep one night and crashed out about 7am. I was told this was an overdose by the doctor. I'm sitting here so anxious as I keep thinking I won't sleep tonight and will have to go to A&E & be admitted but still the thought of being up the whole night and next day is scaring the hell out of me.

I've done my research and I think my condition is called psychophsyological insomnia. The thought of being up at 4am onwards tonight is so disturbing to me & my anxiety is sky high. I need constant reassurance & I believe the zopiclone won't work as the other weekend I took 3 7.5 mg and was wide awake but did fall to sleep. I'm in such a state at the moment & all i care about is getting to sleep. This has ruined my life & I would appreciate any help for this forum.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Darren,

at a guess I'd say your mind is going at a hundred miles and hour, you probably feel like a zombie, awake but not alive? Whilst medication is great it does rely on acceptance, the trouble is sometimes we can fight the medication just to prove it doesn't work. You have worked yourself into an anxious ball of neurosis and Dr Google probably hasn't helped. It kind of like people who research the medications they are given and scare themselves witless regarding the side effects. If I could suggest two things for you to try they would be

1) relax, mediated before bed or listen to a self hypnosis session they are easy to download. 

2) as the old expression goes "a watched pot never boils" well it's the same with sleep, you can't force yourself it sleep it's counterproductive, try accepting that you may not get to sleep for a while tonight, relax in bed with a good book and enjoy the silence and the book, your body will soon take over.

the cruel part of anxiety is it messes with our routines, this makes us tired and frustrated which feeds the anxiety. You know the problem which is half the battle, you now need to fight without fighting (I sound like a zen master) beat anxiety by finding calm. I hope this helps, please keep me updated on your progress

• Posted

Thank you for the reply

For me it's the initial getting to sleep

I've also just started to take clomipramine again & have tool 2 50 mg for the last two nights

I don't know if it could be a side effect out I feel ridiculously anxious and my belly is in pieces

I normally go out Fridays nights and have a few beers and a few vodkas but I'm resigning myself to stay in as I worry I will get drunk and come home and won't sleep

I've never felt like the way I do I'm

So nervous scared paranoid

• Posted

Darren 

feeling nervous, scared and paranoid is normal, you'd have to hunt high and low on here to find someone who ain't been there. As for a night in the affects of alcohol can be enhanced by Clomipraline so I'd steer clear for now. Your task right now is to find some calm, while a night on the tiles might sound like a welcome relief you might spend the night awake with a hangover for company. Be strong, relax (easier said than done I know) and remember this is an illness, your not defective, crazy or a loser your ill and accepting that will help

• Posted

Thanks again

I'm just scared as hell the zopiclone won't work and I won't sleep

• Posted

Hi Darren,

I like to think of the medication like a sat nav, bloody useful but at the end of the day it's just a tool. You are the driver, you are in control. Use the tools but don't rely to much on them

• Posted

Hi Darren,

Meds can help, but they are an aid, not a permanent fix. You should probably see a therapist too. They can help you find ways to manage the anxiety that almost certainly worsens your sleep issues. I didn't begin my own recovery until I started working with a psychologist.

There are other good habits to get into as well. I think we've been having a good discussion here: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-fear-of-not-getting-back-to-sleep-depression-anxiety-hell--414073?page=0#1405661.   

Lastly, I'd like to offer some hope. I've been where you are now, constantly afraid about not sleeping. But when I started really working on it, I was able to recover. There IS a solution that will work for you, and you WILL get better.

• Posted

Hi Darren, I have been in the exactly same place as your reading your story made me think is this writing this.  I have been on and off like this for years. The last time I was like this was just before Christmas and I was in a bad way to.  I know exactly what what tie thinking,you can't see how you are you going to get out of this.  My doctor changed my medication and put me on diazepam which I must say relaxed me before bed.  I used to have a hot bath and hot milk and took the diazepam an hour before bed and it helped me.  You are the exactly the same as me worry of a night am I going to sleep tonight.  The more I worried the more I got anxious.  But you just have to get in that sleep patten, and tell yourself out loud I am going to sleep tonight, so go away and leave me alone, the brain is a very powerful thing and you can't let it win.  Ask your doctor to give you some diazepam it helped me and I still now and again take one if I feel anxious of a night.  You will get through this. Keep stronge Darren, regards DebbieDebbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.