Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys,Hope you can help my hubby has had 12 sessions of Radiotherapy and doing well until this morning when he was in a shop and suffered bowel incontinence and as you can imagine he was very upset. Can we buy disposable pants anywhere and do we tell the Radiologist about this. Can anything be done.Thank you

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Soso,As you know I've been following your hubby because my hubby is just behind you for his treatment.  Now I'm no authority on this because as I say we're just behind you.  If I were you I would tell the Radiologist about this,as they must have come across it a thousand times,and they will give you the best advice.  Also you can have disposable pants,I even think you may be able to get them from the NHS,so check.

i hope this hasn't doubted his hopes,it's just a little hiccup,we were warned this could happen.  Try and keep his chin up,and positive.

take care both of you. And keep in touch.xx

• Posted

Hi Soso62, I wish your hubby well and I am sure both of you will have a positive outcome. I had RT treatment last year (37 zapps) My oncologist prescribed Micolette enema's (supplied by the Hospital NHS) inserted before treatment, the theory was to clear the bowels. It worked for me and I had no problem with bowel/urinary incontinence, however, some others (now friends) had urinary problems. Norma72045 is right consult your Radiologist they will probably get in touch with your Oncologist who then 'Hopefully' prescribe the right solution on the NHS. My problem was hormone injections and the effect of them 'hot flushes' and as one lady pointed out to me 'now you know what us women go through' a 5 second silence was followed by laughter from all of us. I wish you both well for the future........  one last point .....I found the Macmillan Org. excellent on any problem/issue and the support they gave.
    • Posted

Hi Lewis12685

Good post.

I am 17months on from RT.

Worst thing to put up with are the hot flushes, I get may final Zoladex next month, so hope it tapers off.

• Posted

Hi Lewis12685

Same as you, the hormone injections effects - hot flushes - are difficult to put up with, together with night sweats.

I have my last Zaladex injection next mont, so hope for improvement.

• Posted

Afternoon supercargo, hope

ALL is going well. The hot flushes continued for quite some time after I finished the last injection, I believe it takes 3 months for the hormone therapy to clear the system. Quite funny really because my wife was putting the electrict blanket on when I was sweating profusely....no consideration lol. My PSA levels have now dropped to 0.13 The last 3 reading have been the same so very positive results. I developed a pain lower back and groin, anyway X-ray showed that I have a severe degenerated hip (bone-on-bone) now awaiting hip replacement. Still, we are off to Turkey for 9 days in 2 weeks time so we are looking forward to some real continuous sunshine. I hope your PC condition is positive and that you don't have too many sleepless nights with the sweats. good luck for the future.

• Posted

Hi Lewis12685

Thanks for your positive feedback.

​My PSA now 0.1, but due to bleeding when cleaning the rear end, I had a Colonoscopy which showed Radiation Proctopathy.

​Like you I am down for a right leg Hip Replacement. I was due for the op on 15th September, but last week I developed DVT in my left leg - now on Warfarin which may delay surgery.

​Enjoy your holidays in Turkey - great country. 

• Posted

supercargo what can I say .........firstly your PSA is good....... sorry to hear about your Throbosis prob. not to mention RP. You are going through a pain barrier and probably wondering........ when will it ever stop?..... My friend said after OUR last zapp (RT). When everthing else fails 'book a holiday' hence Turkey. We lived in Fethiye 5+ years but came back to UK due to my wife's parents illnesses!!!!  (to be nearer). Anyway you appear to have a positive attitude and coping with what has been thown at you....good for you. This time next year I am sure we will be saying what was that all about. Talking of Turkey our friends and next door neighbours (while there) have just 'e' mailed us saying that her husband has invasive skin cancer. 'Life is a bitch'!!

Take care supercargo and keep in touch 

• Posted

First do tell your doctor very important you should also be able to get help via a prescription from your doctor for incontinence pants adult yes they are available if not in your chemist google it!

It must also be very upsetting for him, but tell him to stay positive, and fight on. It would also be a good idea to visit the loo before going out, you have my sympathy its bad enough from urine can't imagine the rear end he can getvhelp talk to your GP.

• Posted

Hi guys'Thanks for all your Lovely replies,it helps a lot when you Know other people are going through the same.I will speak to the Radiologist tomorrow evening.My hubby will probably be reluctant for me to say anything as he is quite a private person where as I think it is better to talk about these things.Will keep you posted  xx
    • Posted

I agree with you,I think everything is best in the open,or how can they help you if they don't know.

keep us posted and I hope things go right for your hubby from now.

• Posted

First of all you must advise the Radiologist.

Disposable pants available on Ebay or Boots.

Fortunately my 37 RT sessions went well.

Now 17 months on after RT.

I have my last Zoladex injection next month.

RT caused Radiation Proctopathy.

• Posted

Hi guys,Sorry mY iPad has been playing up.Anyway my hubby's diaHorrea  has settled down and the tiredness seems the worst .Norma how has your husband coped so far, good I hope.How long after the radiotherapy does he get blood tests and how often

• Posted

Hi Soso,I'm pleased to here your hubby's D has settled down.

My hubby,is up to his 9th day of radiotherapy,to begin with he struggled to hold his water,until he was done.  But now he's OK,they did tell him he would get really fatigue,but so far he's doing quite well. He has a bit of a dark moment a couple of times,but it soon past. I think what gets to him the most of travelling every day to and from the hospital,it gets a bit monotonous and he can't plan to do anything,but once it's over,I think it's 37sessions he'll be fine. He don't get a blood test until the end of his therapy I don't think.   I've been trying to rack my brain of how I can get into him through food his vitamins that the therapy must be taking out of him.  But so far so good.  Keep in touch and if you come up with anything new let me know,and same here.  Take care of yourself as well.x

• Posted

Hi, you should tell the doctors treating your husband and ask if it is possible for you husband to take immodium tablet when going out just for peace of mind.
  • Posted

Hi, you should tell the doctors treating your husband and ask if it is possible for you husband to take immodium tablet when going out just for peace of mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.