HELP! 5 Years and Counting

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have read everything in this group and I am trying (or have tried) everything that has been suggested.

- Claritin during the day (benedryl nightly)

- All anti-fungals (dr's rx)

- cleanses

- no sugar diet (for 6 months)

- all creams

- hydrocortinzone

- cortizone

- special steriod from doctor

- coconut oil

- pure aloe

- desitin

- tucks

- preporation H

- witch hazel

- suppositories

- enimas

- any suppliments recommended (Vitamin D, E, Garlic, probiotics)

I am sure there is a couple more that I have forgotten. It gets worse right before my period. Horribly worse. No sleep. Just complete agony. I really am glad I found this thread though. It is somewhat comforting to know that there are people out there that know exactly what I am going through. If anyone can suggest anything else that you don't see on my list, PLEASE respond. 

One last thing.... it was a little bit better here and there over the past 5 years. Only a few weeks in a row, out of no where. There was no rhyme or reason to why it seemed to clear up. I got the birth control "Mirena" (an IUD that stays in for 5 years) After the first year of having it I decided to get it removed because the itching and severity of my anal itching was at an all time high. My gyno was baffled at what was going on down there. Nothing he prescribed or suggested worked in any way. 

Could this be hormonal?? I know men suffer ffrom this too, but could it be hormone related? 

Please Help!!

Taylor

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Please read my posts -fredthecat - I suffered for 12 plus years. Got an allergy test, found nickel allergy was the cause. Also fish oil caps helped me. I go by fredthecat, however I am not Fred I am a female. My condition spread all over in that region. It was horrible.
    • Posted

Thank you! Did you have a reaction to the nickel anywhere else on your body? I work with nickel all the time. Wouldn't I have a reaction on my wrist or hands since I handle it?

I've done fish oil, but not for an extended period of time.

• Posted

I am looking into this nickel thing. NO need to explain. THANK you for the response. I had no idea there was nickel in things we eat. I will keep you posted!! Thanks again!
  • Posted

I had similar problems and still do occasionally. My solution came when I limited the amount of red meat I consumed as well as changing to lactose free milk. This helped a little. The biggest change came from increasing my fiber intake. Metamucil at least 1 table spoon in an 8 oz glass of water. I also have a bowl of rolled oats every morning for breakfast. If I keep to this regime I very rarely have any issues that can not be solved with over the counter steroid creams. I think what is happening is that the high protein diet causes our stools to be looser and also more sudden. Because the movement is so quick the outer anal muscle does not release causing the skin to fissure. Because the stool is loose the fecal matter remains in the fissures irritating them further. Then it is a repeating injury every day. I also think that there might be something going on with the exterior anal muscle at this point that prevents it from closing. This allows the tender internal skin to be irritated by undergarments and dryed out by air. I only feel totally itch free when this muscle is completely closed. The increased fiber in my diet allows my stools to be dry, also the bowel movement is slower allowing the outer muscle time to relax naturally. Because my stool is dry I only have to wipe once to verify I am clean. You could also up your intake of leafy greens, I have heard it prevents skin problems .Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you! Makes sense and is worth a shot. I will try anything. Every time I read something new to try, I have this "ray of hope". Fingers crossed and saying my prayers!

• Posted

Mine was a lactose allergy and since cutting out all dairy I have been 100% fine. Brians advice is good.
  • Posted

Well in the past 3 weeks I have tried fish oil, vitamin C, Claritin and ice packs. No relief. I'm still going to keep up with them all. How much of the Fish oil and vitamin c do you all think I should take a day. I'm started with the recommendation on the bottle then worked up to doubling it. A dose of each after breakfast and then again after dinner. Is this ever going to end? I have an appt set with a dermatologist, but I couldn't get in until late October. I just can't live like this anymore.

• Posted

I had this problem for about 6 years 😯 i tryed so much untill my doctor fi ally gave me 1 last thing to try before requesting this injection... i was given 300g hydrocortisone creame 1% (hyd) in a white round rub not the one in the oil tube and also a pill called Allersoothe....

After every shower in the morning i would put a thin wipe of creame on and then do the same at night after a shower.. if you put to much on it would be uncomfretbull. I took 1 pill at around 7pm so i was tired around 9pm... i found after the 6 years with this it was staying asleep to not scratch that drove me crazy.. i would wake up at the same times every night to scratch.. the pill helped me stay asleep sin the end it worked after 2 weeks now i dont use it ... please try it because after 6 years of this pain iam cured all that way from me in new zealand smile

Staying asleep at night to not scratch was the issue. Stop that cycle!!!

• Posted

I really sympathise with you Taylor3120! I had a truly terrible itch for two years also. My itch would be worse at night and before my period as well and nothing the doctor prescribed worked I was at my wits end.

I found non-scented and non-alcoholic baby wipes were my saviour. Use after a bowel movement instead of toilet roll (this was what was irritating me) the dreaded itch was gone in three days.

I hope this has been of some help to you and that you find a solution soon.

• Posted

I had similar experience. I found mine is from acidic food and drinks (coffee (including decaf), tea, soda pop - even plain carbonated water- tomatoes, energy drinks) and I am trying to figure out if some nuts affect me too. I am having improvement with drinking only water, and trying to eat more alkaline foods. A couple years ago I would have thought all tgis was crazy, but I am realizing for me diet really makes a difference. None of the topical interventions worked for me either. Lactose did not seem to make a difference for me, but I have seen some people get relief by eliminating milk and soy. I know someone else who got relief with probiotics, but I tried a bunch of types and probiotics didn't seem to help me.

I wish you luck in this exploration and I hope you find relief.

Sounds like yours might be related to vasodilation from hormones since it is around your peruiod time. Maybe try some period symptom home remedies and see if those might help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.