Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was admitted to hospital for acute coilcytsytis last week and put on oxycodone for the pain I have a gall stone but on getting ultrasound it loomed like it had passed which is why i was in so much pain Iv been sent home with ciproflaxcin which is giving me terrible dioreaha also on metradozanol and oxycodone gall bladder was extremely inflamed and doctor said could be sore for a while I'm due to have surgery in 6 weeks but was wondering if anyone could tell me how long I'm gonna have back ache tummy pain for its driving me nuts

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's hard to say how long you'll have pain, because everyone is so different. Sometimes mine would last a couple days, to 3 weeks, but I was undiagnosed at the time. The doctor kept giving me antibiotics thinking it was a stomach infection. When he'd push on my stomach, there was never any pain, so it appeared that the gallbladder was fine. It wasn't until things got really bad, and my liver enzymes were so off that I was sick, and had a grey color to my skin. Long story short, my gallbladder was up, and pushed back, so that's why there was never pain when the doctor pushed on it. It had also fused itself to my liver, but would still push out a stone. The pain was a bit different than the typical gallbladder pain as far as location goes, but it was still intense. I found wedge pillows to be helpful, especially when stuck having to be in the frog position for a long time.

The best thing to do now is try to relax as much as possible, because your body is fighting very hard. Keep hydrated, especially because of the diarrhea from the antibiotics. Over the counter probiotics can help with the diarrhea, because it replenishes the good bacteria. The pain medication is helpful, but can cause constipation, which will add more pain, but it doesn't seem like you need to worry about that end of it all right now.

When did this all happen? If it's only been a day or so since you got the meds, they need a little more time, but will work. I was never given pain meds, so you're quite lucky to have that help. Relax, and let the body and meds do their work. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

• Posted

Thank for replying

Iv finished antibiotics yesterday and also oxycodone so on general pain relief I think a lot of it is my mind running away thinking every twinge is going to end up in full blown agony it's just waiting now and watching what I eat and trying not to stress and worry about it the pain is emmense when an attack comes on

• Posted

Hi Caroline.  I had to wait a few weeks before surgery as well and had pain.  You must eat a non-fat/low fat no cholesterol diet.  No cheese, butter, hamburgers...I'm sure you know what a low fat diet is.  Restaurant food is packed with fat, so be VERY learly of that.

That's about the only thing you can do to avoid the pain.  I would also keep a low-fat diet after it's out...at least for a little while until you're healed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.