Help! Advice! Info! Anything please :)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. Just looking for some advice and info really please. I was diagnosed with PCOS in January this year by my GP after 6 years of irregular periods and not joy after TTC from almost four years. I and my OH are desperate to be parents; luckily we are only 23 and 25 so we have age on our side. I have been for two blood tests one for hormone levels and the other for rubella tolerance. Also I had an internal ultrasound to check the cysts. My OH has been for his sperm sampling which came back good. I am and have always have been overweight and really struggled to lose the weight however since Christmas I have lost 20pounds. Last year, in total I had only three periods, this year I have had one each month which is amazing. I am assuming the weight loss is what has sparked this change? We had now had our letter from the fertility clinic at our local hospital informing us of our first appointment in three weeks’ time. I am extremely excited but nervous at the same time. What can I expect from this appointment? Will he tell me to just lose weight? Will I prescribed any meds?redface

I really appreciate any replies I receive cheesygrin

Thanks you Laura

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Laura, Found your post interesting as I & my husband were in an almost identical situation 43 years ago. Both desperate to conceive, The tests were limited then(not like to~day). But,he was super fertile and I didn't ovulate!!!!. Yes,weight was an issue with me. I lost some and conceived. Not intentionally,as I didn't know I had PCOS,nor connected the two.I had a son. I've already said on this site that I wasn't diagnosed with PCOS until about 8 years ago when my daughter was also  diagnosed. There was a 12 year gap between her & my son.Then I was told  that I was "subfertile" as I didn't ovulate. I was still overweight and just for myself decided to lose some weight. Again,I conceived. I think you can already see in your own situation that losing weight(20lbs since Christmas is very good) is very important to us PCOSers You've no doubt also  found that losing weight is harder with PCOS. There's not a good thing I can say about this condition.  .I can't say what to expect at your appointment~it's very different now. Although docs still don't know much about PCOS..But being near enough an acceptable weight is important for conceiving. So,keep up the good work~yes it's hard. I wish you well. Dorothy
    • Posted

Thank you Dorothy biggrin

Hearing succes stories is what keeps me going t the minute. Yes i have found losing the weigh very difficult, especially as i have an eating disorder limiting me to what foods i can physically eat before making my self anxious and ill. But i believe exercise is what has pushed me to lose the weight. i am trying to keep positive and happy lol

Looking forward to the appointment hopefully they will give me some idea what im looking at facing!

• Posted

Hello im kinda in the same position as you but i was diagnosed when im was 16 im 22 now so had it for 6 years sad im quite suprised that they have only just diagnosed you after all that time rolleyes i have high blood pressure so they have just changed my tablets so that if i get pregnant it wont hurt the baby smile im just waiting for them to settle in and then i will be getting referred to the fertility clinic smile i think the first appointment is just to ask you questions and they do a few tests on you and your partner, they may ask you to lose weight thats all they ever say to me even though iv lost 3 stone already sad hope this has helped you if you need anythink dont hesitate to message me smile  
  • Posted

Hey laura,

I am going through the same as you right now but havent yet had any diagnosis! I have had bloods done also to check my hormones thyroids etc they were clear now I am having tests for pcos, What were your symptoms if you dont mind me asking, I have never really had regular periods since being young I have missed months etc Now I am on my 3rd month without one. I to am slightly over weight but find it really hard to loose!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.