Help! Burning and flu-like symptoms after MRI, will I get better?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm desperate for some reassurance. I had an MRI (WITHOUT contrast) of orbits in February, and the next day began to burn up all over like severe sunburn. I began to feel very flu-like with it.

5 weeks later, I am still experiencing these symptoms. They flare up, it'll be my scalp burning then my chest and back, etc. It has completely destroyed my life- I am in the run up to my finals at university. I have never felt so unwell and I am failing, very weak, losing weight, being sick a lot and in pain. When I scratch or rub an area of skin, it burns and goes bright red in welts.

All my bloods came back normal. I cannot think of a plausible mechinism for these symptoms. I regret having the scan so much. The hospital already had blood results confirming no inflammation but neglected to tell me when I asked for any alternatives to having the scan, and sent me for a pointless scan anyway.

Has anyone else ever had these symptoms after MRI or another procedure involving RF radiation? Please tell me, did you recover and how long did it take?

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You must report this and go back to see your consultant
  • Posted

Sound like you allergic to whatever they clean the mri with. benedryl is a good first start.
    • Posted

Thank you but it was 3 months ago so can't be an allergic reaction. Plus I was in my own clothes and on a paper towel in the machine. I tried many antihistamines and anti allergy pills and topical lotions to no avail. Symptoms continue. No GP has an answer. Can only conclude that MRI is very dangerous and anyone stumbling across this wondering whether or not to have one should NOT unless they also wish to have their life ruined.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.