Help for Henoch Schonlein Purpora

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All - I've been reading a lot of posts about Henoch Schonlein Purpora, so I wanted to share my story to help. I'm 32 and have battled this disease since I was 14. The single biggest factor in my battling this is fish oil. I take about 5 grams of fish oil per day, with the goal of getting 1.5 grams of EPA and 1 gram of DHA. Depending on the fish oil brand, that can be as little as 3-4 pills or as many as 12 per day. I recommend taking these during a meal, as it can upset your stomach. I also take an ACE inhibitor (benazepril) to help with my blood pressure. I have dealt with the rash, stomach pain, and joint pain. When I take the fish oil, these symptoms go away. There are studies on the benefits of fish oil to combat this disease, so do your own research. I was fortunate enough to have gotten great medical help from a doctor at University of California San Francisco, who recommended the fish oil. I suggest you at least try it, it was a life saver for me.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I misspelled purpura, I'm on a mobile so you'll have to forgive me.
  • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your interesting facts about fish oil, that is really helpful. Awful that you have had it since you were 14....shocking actually as the medics have all implied to us that it should just go in anything up to 3 years.....you have suffered for a very long time.

Will try this for my daughter.

Wishing you better health in the future.

• Posted

I've heard of a number of cars where the symptoms have persisted for over a decade. I think it is likely that this is an auto immune disorder linked to either colitis or arthritis in the family history. Fish oils are helpful with arthritis, so it makes sense to me that they would help. We've also found anti histamines to be helpful with the rash.
  • Posted

I've heard of a number of cars where the symptoms have persisted for over a decade. I think it is likely that this is an auto immune disorder linked to either colitis or arthritis in the family history. Fish oils are helpful with arthritis, so it makes sense to me that they would help. We've also found anti histamines to be helpful with the rash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.