Help for prostate

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, like many men my understanding of what the prostate does was very limited untill it started giving me problems. I found that a book published by the BMA called " Prostate Problems " most helpfull. 

It explains where the prostate is and what it does. What can go wrong with it and the treatments and side effects that the various treatments can leave you with. Its an easy  read and an invaluable reference guide for a lay man and his wife. I bought a copy at a local book shop but you may find it at your town library.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is it up to date for new treatments like Urolift and Prostate Artery Embolisation ? Things are changing all the time and listen to the warnings on here about TURP. The NICE website has information on all procedures. 
    • Posted

Hi , Urolift and PAE are not discussed in the book. HOLEP and green light laser are. However this book gives good info re drug treatments for BHP and treatments for PC. It has diagrams and good explanations of what is going wrong in the prostate leading to the problems most of us know too well.I have exhausted my reading of this book and anyone with an interest can have it, just send me a pm with your address and i will post it off to you. hope all are as well as can be.
    • Posted

Green Light has been around for quite a number of years now. I had my one in 2005. In 2013 I had a Holmium/Thulium procedure. The GL recovery was much faster. Basically life was back to normal from day three.

I was amused today to come across an article in a North of England paper about a new procedure in their local hospital that turned out to be GL PVP. 

Back in 1994 like you I found a very good book by an Amerrican urologist that explained prostate problems and the treatments available at that time. I wrote to him for advice and had some correspondence with him. He advised me not to have a TURP and wait for laser surgery to be improved.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.