Help! Found out I have diverticular disease!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I found out 6 months ago I had diverticular disease after a flair up of diverticulitis.  I have recently had another flair up - a few days ago.  Although it seems mild it is still fairly debilitating but doesnt seem as bad as first time.  I don't know if I am experiencing day to day diverticular disease symptoms or diverticulitis?  First attack had fever with it and feeling sick but this one is just pain and diahorrea and feeling really down.  Can't eat except for liquids.  Is this diverticulitis or diverticular disease and how do you know the difference?  Is it to do with the fever being present or not?  I am so worried as no real information has been given to me and I feel scared I won't be able to live a normal life with this.  Can someone tell me the difference and should I be heading to the doctors as soon as i get a flair up or just put up with it until it gets worse?  I have read so many scary things about it I don't know if I can cope.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia. You have diverticulitis now and the fever means you have an infection somewhere in the colon, you need to see your GP or consultant to get antibiotics to get rid of the infection, your diet should be bland nothing rough,seedy or pipe in case they get into the pockets, this may have already happened and that may be the reason you have an infection. Drink plenty of fluids, peel all fruit and don't eat vegetables that are full of fibre until this calms down again, it's a difficult disese to live with and finding Bihar suits you and what doesn't is trial and error, keep a diary of every thing you eat, I hope your feel better very soon. Xxx
  • Posted

I'm so very sorry that you're feeling really scary and can't cope. I was first diagnosed with diverticular disease following an episode of diverticulitis, which .  you rightly comment causes severe pain and/or fever and/or sickness and/or many loo visits. I think the most important thing I've learned is that everyone is different and symptons vary for each person. My GP has always told me to pay him a visit if there is fever or excessive pain, please don't ever feel you are a burden. Please also be reassured that you can and will lead a normal life, whilst taking time out to work out what diet is best for you , and being kind to yourself. Any stress/anxiety always makes any chronic condition worse, so it's best to be completely honest with y.our GP about your fears. Be kind to yourself.
  • Posted

Thank you for your kind and helpful replies.  Some of the things I have read made me think you will end up completely incapacitated and no longer able to lead a normal life.  You have given me hope. I am on my own and worried that I will be no longer able to look after myself and that I will lose my job if they find out this is why I am off.  I will try some of your recommendations.  Can stress trigger bouts of it? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Patricia.. Ive just been diagnosed with Diverticulitis today after a Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy and ive been having symptoms for nearly 30 years.. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 18.. But alot of the bouts of incredible pain had me telling GP's something else is wrong and they hadn't picked up on an inflamation marker in the last few blood tests ive hsd done over a period of 5 years and it's taken this long for me to convince them to send me to see a consultant.. I should have demanded it a long time ago.. Just after Newyear I was in agony everyday with pain all over my abdomen and sometimes stronger and stabbing like.. Docs put me on Nefopam for pain.. Saw consultant who suspected inflammatory bowel disease and ordered the tests I had today.. Also removed a polyp and took biopsies.. Also testing for something else which is a type of infection cant remember the name of that one and might have prolapse.. Well bring it on now I know what im fighting bring it on.. Its my life and I win the battles with a little bit of screaming thrown in lol

Anyway dont feel so down and scared Patricia as you are not alone and you will feel better.. Best thing I can say is do lots of research and find through trial and error a diet to suit.. Good luck girl xx

• Posted

Yes I too are suffering from diverticulitis and last night was in great pain.  Came on from nowhere, sitting there one moment ok and the next blessed griping pains and the need to spend the next 3/4s of an hour on and off the loo.     Hubby gets very worried and I do try to play things down.   I am wondering if I have been eating too many veg and a lot of plums and nectarines.     The trouble is I am not prepared to give up the occasional curry and chilli.    

You are not alone there seems to be more and more people suffering from it.  keep your chin up.

• Posted

Hi Thanks you all.  Been on metronidazole for just under 3 days and out of nowhere had severe pain and constant diahorrea.  Went to A and E and they said just keep taking the metronidazole,  said it can sometimes happen - pain getting better and worse when you are still on the antibiotics.  Checked all my bloods and said they were happy.  Anyone else experience this - pain and then it gets worse and better again even on antibiotics.
    • Posted

hi Patricia , i have been on antibiotics since 26th Jan one min feeling good next back in pain etc i have just been put on double antibiotics for another 7days waiting now for my blood test to come back sometimes i feel so low 
    • Posted

Hi Sorry You are still feeling bad after such a long time.  As I am new to this too and it seems although I finished antibiotics last week I am now still suffering lingering pain!  I am also getting pain in my lower left back - don't know if this is normal or some muscle problem due to the bowel pain.  Is it normal to get pain lingering so long and should you always go back to doctor ?  I am worried about too many antibiotics.  Like you I feel low about this disease. sad

• Posted

Hi Patricia

5 months was digonised with diverticuloses and was told that if I get a fever and vomiting I should go straight to the emergency at the Hospital as it can be very dangerous other wise I was given tablets to help with gases in the stomach and a product called Plantaben which is a sachet you mix with 1/2 a bottle water which you take 2 or 3 times a day and stops your stools from making you strain when you go to the toileta mild laxative called Duphalac which is a solition in a sachet which can be taken 2 or 3 times a day and apart from gradually increasing the fiber in you diet until you are on a High Fiber dietll this is to keep the colon clean so it does not turn in to Diverticulitis  there is nothing that can be done.

I live in Spain and have found it very difficult to get information on High Fiber diets and I find that the worst time for me is at night, after about 8.0pm I am in bed with a hot water bottle on my stomach (which gives a little relief).

Like you I am still trying to cope with this awfull disease.

• Posted

Hi i have diverticular disease ive had this for approximately 12 months i am in pain alot of the time as i dont eat fruit or anything to make my stools easier to pass i suffer from constipation i take stuff that i mix with water sorry cant think of the name of it though, i tend to bleed alot too when i do mannage to go to the toilet, as i have hemorrhoids as well its hard to tell which condition is causing me to bleed, i have spoken to my gp but he just keeps telling me to take parecetamol ,but the problem there is i take other pain killers that make me constipated but he refuses to chande them as theres nothing else that suits me.
  • Posted

Hi Pat,   I too am a long time sufferer with diverticular disease.  I read your post - it is over a year ago since your posted.  I am wondering how you are today and if you have any advice for those still suffereing. Thank you.
  • Posted

I have just been diagnosed with diviticular disease, it took 4 flare ups (and 4 hospital admissions!) Before they actually found out what it was (was passed from gyni to surgical team like a tennis ball!) CT scan finally found that it was this horrible disease. I'm only 34 and so I'm really young to be having this according to the consultant. Just wondering how old you all are to see if they are right. They have given me no info about how to manage the disease and how to stop getting infections and if I get 1 more infection I will need surgery sad any info and advice you can give me would be much appreciated, feeling pretty scared right now to be honest sad
    • Posted

I think I posted to the wrong person, I'm 36 and was told the same as far as I'm too young to have this. Did you have surgery? Would loooove to talk to someone in the same boat as me. Never felt more scared or alone. My husband is supportive but this lingering pain scares me.

• Posted

If you have a fever you definitly are having a baterial infection flare and need to be on Flagyl(metronidazole) and ciprofloxacin or similar. I had a flare without temperature and am now on meds.  I have suffered with this off and on for the last 7 years due to Dr's in Emerg sluffing me off until finally after 7 months becoming very ill and admitted for 2 weeks. Since then I guess things have been destroyed in my gut and I am always aware of discomfort at the best of times. Best advice is to go on liquids when in a major flare gradually moving back into soft foods as you get better. Overall I refer to the Mayo Clinic diet available on the internet. No - you never really get totally better but you hope that it doesn't get to the stage of bowel removal if you are very diligent and careful with your diet.
  • Posted

Hi, I see you posted 6mths ago. Did you end up having surgery? I am 36 and had 3 flares in 3 mths. Never even knew what diverticulitis was until then. I had them during my menstrual. I am on birth control so I won't have a menstrual and no more flares. It's been 3mths since my last flare and I'm still sore about 4 days out of the week.. like a lingering pain. I have not had a colonoscopy yet. Have you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.