Help I can't stand it anymore, what should I do?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Here is my story: I am 18 years old and I have phobia of cancer...

About 2 years ago, I have had some change in my bowel movement and saw blood in my stool I was terrified because it was pretty similar to symptoms of cancer, I went to the doctor and told him about my concerns he told me it should be nothing serious but I insisted to do some screening so he ordered an abdominal ultrasound which showed nothing serious apart a small hemengioma on the liver which is nothing dangerous I guess... So the doctor told me I have IBS, but  the thing is the moment "I believed it was not cancer" (Because abdominal ultrasound does not detect colon or stomach cancer but I did not know that at the time) anyway I felt better and symptoms vanished and years went on...

Until a couple month ago I was doing some crunches and then after I was done I was really bloated and the next day when I went to the toilet there was too much blood. Also I started having change in my bowel movment alternating between constipation and diarrhea it did not get better after a week so I went to another doctor he also did not take it for something too serious maybe because of my young age but I also insisted we need to do something so we did a colonscopy to check for the blood cause, the colonscopy showed nothing all was clear...

So I said to myself I should start getting better now but in fact it's not. Here are my current symptoms right now :

-Alternating between constipation and diarrhea, in a sense that when I eat stuff like chicken meats fatty food I have hard stools and when I eat fibers vegetables I have very loose stool not but not 100% liquid.There is no middle ground 

-Also when I eat or even drink water my abdomen is distiented for a while, especially water everytime I drink I feel throat burp and sometimes the water comes up.

- Everytime I wake up even if I did not eat anything at night, I need to pass gass I feel like I am filled with air...(My gas are becoming only air and I did not have smely gas for a while that's also strange)

-There is blood often (Which is not IBS) so  the doctor told me it could be because of hemerroid or anal fissure but recently I am only seeing blood when I have loose stool.. Strange I am really worried about that

No one is taking me seriously and I am afraid I might have a problem in my stomach or small intestine/colon. Does anyone have same symtoms as me ?... Please help me I don't know what to do, I want to feel better!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

What the last doctor told u about the blood? It's good that ur coloscopia came clear. Maybe ur need to go to another doctor to see what he tells u I have a lot of burping gas and sometimes constipation or kind of soft stool n once in a,while dierrea. For the gas problem I started taking Beano and has help enormously specially with the gas I would say 80 % and by reducing the gas the pain as well. Hope is nothing serious Bc ibs I guess is such a unpredictable illness that any changes freak out.

• Posted

Hello,  I have had IBS since I was a kid and I am now 51.  If you got a colonoscopy and that is all clear than do not worry about cancer,  My dad had colon cancer and when they did his colonoscopy they saw it.  If your bleeding it is most likely a hemrhoid.  I have the exact same symptoms you have and have had then for many years.  Constipation then diarrhea,  Unfortunately i just have to learn to deal with it,  I notice when I feel emotional it brings the symptoms on more.  Ask your dr if there is anything he can give you.  I know there is medicine out there that can help the symptoms but unfortunately can not cure or get rid of it 100%
  • Posted

It is a very scary feeling Josh when your bowel habits change and you see blood you think of that terrible word cancer.And the next thing we do is to Google it only to find out that the symptoms you have are similar to what could be signs of cancer and then you feel sick with fear and worry. Believe there are thousand of people all over the world go through this terror, that is the only word to describe it. Well unlike you i never passed blood but the bad pain and spasms and varying between constipation and diarrhea started to really frighten me. I was to scared to go and see a doctor for fear of what he might find so i was in a state of constant worry and fear and no matter what my family said to make me feel better never worked. Finally they got so fed up i nervously went to see a doctor. He arranged for me to have a barium enema- ouch! where he found i had diverticulosis also said i had ibs and because i was a worrier i was making things worse. Also had an ultra sound done that was fine and also saw a gastrologist who examined me up my bum and that was normal. Had blood tests done for other things not connected to any of this and they were good also.So i figured my blood test would have shown something amiss for what i thought could be cancer but nothing.Well i have been like this for 12yrs. of more and like my husband said i wold have dropped off this planet years ago if it had been cancer. Oh and by the way i get bloated stomach and lots of flatulence every early evening with out fail and belly swells up. Hve tried so many prescription medicine and nothing hs really worked. Supplements i take have helped much better but not cured any of it.You have had all the correct tests and they would have detected something very serious but they have not. Please take comfort with that at least. Now maybe someone else may be able to assure you and maybe put on on the right path to ease your symtoms. Sometimes they will go away but other times you have to live with it or go somewhere else who maybe get your symptoms under control. Best wishes. wink  

• Posted

Hi Josh, the best think you can do now, is controlling your self or you will get crazy. I'm 41 and got an anxiety attack and end up in the hospital for 3 days. I also have a hepatic hemangioma, hemangiomas are benign type of mass, but it doesn't mean you must forget about it, check it every year. It is good you had colonoscopy, that means your intestines/colon are healthy (you are young) could be hemorrhoids, I had friends with it, and the bleed a lot.

About your stomach and the way you feel, think about it, if your doctor don't offer it, ask for an endoscopy, just to see if you have gastritis, HP o just to check.

But, while you wait, do something good, time for you cook from scratch, time to eat healthy, no frozen foods, and not processed foods, try to eat organic or natural food, avocados are good for me, meat without hormones, antibiotic, i will say avoid flours/gluten first to see what happen, you will feel better in a week.

What you gonna do today is writting, make a diary of your food, write what you eat, what time, and what are your syntomes after you eat, continue writing for at least a month.

If you have IBS fiber is not good for you, because it will lose your stools.

I'm doing a gluten free diet, my stomach is very happy now, no more bloating, burping, pains, headaches, no more anxiety, my BM had chaged a lot. Gluten cause lots of pain: join pain, anxiety, tingling or numbing in your hands, headaches, bloating, diarrheas, brain fog, fatigue, cramps, and others, gluten intolerance is not easy to diagnose, doctors will tell you, you have a stomach bug, acid reflux, depression, anxiety etc.I am still waiting for results next week.

I wish you the best, if you don't like your doctor, changed it to another you can truth, you pay, you have the right to feel comfortable.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Janet!

Did you get your gluten-sensitivity test result yet?

Your story is much like mine, and i am curious what you found out. smile

• Posted

Hi Steph, I did get my test and it was negative, but I know it is hard to diagnose it, I keep doing my gluten free diet, I'm doing much better. My neighbor advise me to drink chamomile tea to help me with the anxiety, believe me, it is helping me alot, I'm drinking at night and mornings. Next Monday I go to a new doctor, I'll try a new test for gluten intolerance.

You take care.

Janet.

• Posted

Josh .I know ot os hard not to worry.Worring only makes matters worse. I also have ibs. With gastiritits .My gastro dr put me on ib guard it is all natural and can be purchased at riteaid .After a few days of taking it i seen changes for the better in my bowl movements. And if you got a colonosphy and ot was normal Iwouldnt fear colon cancer.I also had ine due to my brother passing away at age 43 from it he caught it in his thirties. If ot runs in your family repeat the test ever five years Just too be safe. Alwa6s remember anything caught early is better than late. I seriously would try the ibs guard. And lumit coffee intake and if you drink alchol i would substain from all of alchol. The boards are good too talk with people but google is nothing but stress it will lead you to think no matter what you may have is cancer.so try and bot google things on your health. And find a good dr. Of you are in the atlanta area i know a few good ones that will get too the bottom of your situation.
  • Posted

Eat probiotics yogurt, Kefir, get some good probiotic capsules, eat prebiotic foods, try Turmeric 95% curcumin with piperine capsules, enteric coated peppermint capsules, don't mean to sound flippant but somethings may help, I use all these plenty of info online.

• Posted

Is it dark red or light red blood
  • Posted

Josh, first and foremost the question I have for you is has your doctor put you on any kind of medicaton for IBS there are medicines out there that work wonders on some symptoms of IBS, sometimes you just have to play with the med's to get the things right. I went through an episode after the birth of my last child, I wanted to nurse him since he was the last baby I would have and things got so bad that my Gynecologist told me that my son wasn't getting the nutrients that he needed because he wanted to nurse all the time and I couldn't take the medication that I would usually take for IBS the whole time I was pregnant or while nursing and it got to the point I would have to hand my son off when nursing him because I would have to go to the bathroom and it was diarrhea all the time and I was getting weak and just felt drained all the time and he said I was gonna have to put my son on the bottle so I could take care of myself and so he would be satisfied and get the nourishments that he needed. So alot of things can cause episodes with your IBS, when you get stressed about something, and as far as food and drink goes I really don't think it matters because IBS being what it is there's gonna be some kind of problem there but it can be lessened alot with the help of medications. Please keep us updated on how things go with you and your treatment and I hope you get to feeling better really soon. God Bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.