Help! I have an otitis externa and need advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have been to my doctors twice this week due to severe ear pain I have been having for a few days, they have prescribed me with some ear drops and cocodamol. The pain is still so unbearable and I took the cocodamol 2 hours ago so cannot take another dose, I was wondering if I took naproxen would that help reduce the swelling faster and the pain?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Naproxen is an anti inflammatory and is ok to take with cocodamol. It would help reduce the swelling as well.
    • Posted

Thank you, is there anything else you would suggest?
    • Posted

The only thing I would say to give you the maximum pain relief is to space the cocodamol and naproxen out so you don't take them together. 
  • Posted

I use peroxide on a q tip that I carefully swab the inside of my ear with I also use the peroxide on a cotton ball that I stick in my ear. Becasue of the prescribed prescriptions that I take it is recommended that I don't use nsaids. the NP that I see has prescribed antibiotic ear drops as well. Do what your Dr. says. 
    • Posted

i went to a&e yesterday and was told I have both otitis media & externa and also looks like I have dermatitis in my ear so they have stopped the ear drops as they have been irritating the dermatitis now I'm just on antibiotics and pain killers so I definitely wouldn't trust peroxide if standard ear drops was burning my ears, but thank you
  • Posted

Hi there, I've had this otitis externa condition for 6 mos. or longer. Initially, I used peroxide and it helped a little. Now it's worse than ever and I have been through 3 different kinds of eardrops and one oral antibiotic. About to start Bactrim (I think that's the name of it) and I'm hopeful that will do the trick. The pain, throbbing, intense itching, and discharge are making me think my head is just rejecting my ears. Miserable. Taking ibuprofen pretty often and it is hardly doing anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.