Help! I have itchy rash around my in surgical cut

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, for the past week I have a itchy rash around my incision. It is spreading and getting worst vi thought it was the surgical glue coming off and irritating me. What is this?

Thanks,

Scoops

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scoops,

I think you need to get a professional to have a look at this one.

It is probably not much but the risk is that you will scratch it and introduce germs from under you nails into the scar itself.

Get help and stay calm.

Hugs

• Posted

Thank you Shirley I already called my doctor this morning I hope it's not a staph infection.

😀😀

Thanks!!

Scoops

• Posted

hi scoops, 

good that you called your doctor when you are so worried ...

let us know what it is/was okay

How are you getting on otherwise?  

big hug

renee

renee

• Posted

Thank you! Besides that I am doing great. I am able to walk and do some exercises. I will let you know what it is.

Take care,

Scoops

• Posted

Possibly you are right, but scratching in itself can introduce infections, so do call your doctor
  • Posted

Hi Scoops

I've had a number of surgeries and with each one my scar is unbearably itchy. I scratch and rub, but I also know it's part of the healing process. I'm not sure how far along you are, but it might be quite normal. I'm at 3 weeks now and the itching hasn't started yet, but I know that it will.

Cheers,

Keena

• Posted

Sorry Scoops. I misread your post and missed the rash part. I was thinking it was just itchy.
    • Posted

Hi kikeen,

I am also at 3 weeks. It looks like hives and Its itching like hell. It also spreading in my leg. What do you think?

Thanks. Scoops

• Posted

Poor you. We can medicate for pain but itching is just as bad! It can drive me to distraction.

It sound like an allergy. And because it's near the operated site it sounds like something they've used. Do you have other allergies? Do you have any dressing on it? I think it would be best to see someone about it because it doesn't sound like a normal side effect to me. And it could possibly hinder your recovery. Just maybe.

Im allergic to elastoplast and they used it over the top of my waterproof dressing. I've still got red marks where it was 3 weeks later! Sometimes I take an antihistamine like telfast or clarityne to reduce itch. Maybe that could help.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I'm finding the stage more difficult than expected.

Keena

• Posted

hi scoops, 

how are you doing today? 

Could you be allergic to one of your medications or perhaps developed a food allergy ?   maybe anti-histamine will help - of course after you discussed it with your doctor .....

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renée not sure what it is but I am seeing the doctor on Tuesday it could've been the glue that I was allergic to so when I started taking that off in here tell you my skin doing a little better though thanks so much hugs to you as well.

Scoops

• Posted

You might be having an allergic reaction to something they used during surgery.  It could be to the surgical glue.  But this is the sort of thing that you need to see a doctor about.  I agree that scratching would be bad but I know how hard it is not to!  Your doctor may simply give you some sort of antihistimine if it's an allergic reaction and that should help relieve the rash and itching.  Good luck and let us know what happens.
    • Posted

Hi Linda I'm not sure what it is I took Benadryl last night and help me sleep and stop itching I'm doing good today. The doctor wanted me to take a picture of it and I sent it to him he wasn't that concerned. I am going to see him on Tuesday to doublecheck everything thank you so much for your comment hugs to you
    • Posted

Glad you had a better night and that the itching has subsided!  Always good to double check, though.  Benadryl is the go-to over the counter antihistimine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.