Help I need some experienced advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis by the rumatologist  . I've had psoriasis since childhood  and for the past fifteen years had concurrent iritis two or three times a year ,occipital nuralger caused by degenerated discs , lower back pain since my twenties, pain in all the major joints shoulders knees spine hands elbows . I have had injections in the shoulders elbows etc over the years and get epedurals every six months for my back pain. I also use a nerve stimulator to treat the occipital nuralger. On top of all that I was also diagnosed with tziets syndrome which causes chest pain.

i am in constant pain in my spine but it seems to take different joints at different times sometimes two or three at the same time. I have been given paper work to read about the drug methotrexate , what I need to know from those that use it do the benefits outweigh the risks. 

Will it end the constant fatigue

does it stop the pain 

does it help mobility

the problem I have is that a lot of my symptoms cross over the arthritis causing confusion . I have read tons about methotrexate and there are as many horror stories as there are good ones, can anyone  give me some advice as I am waiting to hear from  the rumatologist about my next appointment to discuss the MRI I have had and also lung and hand x Rays?.  I say I was diagnosed they indicated to me that  I had met the criterion for psoriatic arthritis.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian, i inject MTHX weekly for PsA, and am wating to to start Simponi.

MTHX works differently for people. I would take it if i was you, yes it should help, it will not stop the pain as its not a pain killer, Mobility well its hard to say as we are all differnt.

I was very worried about taking it especially about all the bad side effects, well i haven't really had them, the one downer for me is i have lots of warts and verruccas appearing because of my immune system. Good luck, if you have any other worries feel free to ask.

• Posted

Hi brian24296

the only experience I have in this matter, is that I'm affected with psoriasis since 40 years, and with PA since 15 years. I used nearly every product and treatment the doctor would me prescribe. In all those years I became very critical but usually I've tried a product and if the side effects where to bad I stopped. Doing a lot of resaerch myself I came across that natural products like homoepathic and dead sea salt where giving me the best results, and without any side effects. I think sometimes it's a bit

like learning to swim in front of a pool with deep waters, what works for one maybe don't work for another. I'm retired I do 3 time a week some soft gymnastic exercise, this help good again pain in my back. Good luck. 

• Posted

many thanks, im Still not quite sure what this drug is supposed to do. I have another rumatologist appointment pending . They arranged an MRI of my spine and hand and lung x Rays no doubt they will explain the whys and wherfores of these procedures during my next appointment. 

Again thanks for your help.

• Posted

Hi Brian, sorry you are having a tough time. MTX is one of the disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) and works very well for some friends of mine. However, I couldn't tolerate it -I developed a hepatic reaction (liver problems) and had to stop taking it. That's why I always stress to people the importance of regular blood tests. Unfortunately for me, my GP thought the rheumatology depth would identify this and vice versa so I became quite poorly. Now I take Leflunomide - different DMARDs affect us all differently, as pixie says. So I think it's worth trying as they do slow down the progression of the disease. In answer to your question pain will reduce and mobility increases though I haven't sorted out the dreadful fatigue yet. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks ,I know what you mean about the fatigue I am sleeping the clock around at present. I have another rumatologist appointment pending I think they are going to have to really sell this stuff to me as I am concerned about all the horror stories I've read. Thanks again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.