Help I need some opinions

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 39 years old and going to have a vertical hysterectomy and deciding if I should get a partial or full. What should I do

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

I'm 47 and I've had several problems over the years, cyst and fibriods , heavy periods, this year my dr said the cyst on my left ovary had doubled in size and was causeing me alot of pain so he done a hysterectomy, and he said at my age if I were his wife he would reccommend a total. other wise I'd be back in a few years to have the rest removed. It was a breeze, I had a vaginal one, he put me on 2 mg Estradiol once a day, and I feel good. I hope this helps

Everyone is different, just do some research and see whats right for you. Good luck

• Posted

Hi, Lori,

Sorry to learn you're going through this.  You are still quite young, and there are advantages to retaining your ovaries which create estrogen, and aid in the assimilation of calcium among other things.  However, if you are concerned about ovarian cancer or someone in your family has developed ovarian cancer, then you might want to have them removed.

There are some women who have had their uterus removed who will tell you that it is the worst thing that they ever did.  However, I believe that because of advances in surgical procedure over the last 10 years, you may not miss your uterus at all.  

I had a total hysterectomy two months ago, and believe I have not suffered any ill effects from the absence of my uterus.  I must say at the time of removal that it was very small.  My surgeon informed me that he could hold it in the palm of his hand.

May I ask the reason why you're having your hysterectomy?   

• Posted

i had ablation done back in january and then june i wentt the hospital with sever pains in my lower stomachand lower back. they an a lotof test andmy uteruswas normal size 9.3 cm but had me do a follow wimy female doctor because the possibilty of having endometries. so i had a pevlic utralsound done in august andit showed i had enlarge uterus at 11.3 cm and thelining of my uterus was hard. so im schelduled for my surgery the 28th
  • Posted

I've just had a vertical incision total hysterectomy (5 days ago). I too was feeling the same as you. It's a stage of the process in accepting that's what is recommended for you. Speak to others (face to face if poss), your GP, the nurse at your surgery, your consultant and get lots of advice to help you 'get yourself prepared'. I had a mass the size of a melon removed and luckily my children are 12 and 17 so I'm not broody any more (I'm 50).

I was very scared before the op but I focused on the sense of relief I now feel. A massive weight has been lifted and all I want to do now is recover, get fit and enjoy a healthy life. Positive attitude is essential in coping with this. Rally your friends and family around to help you and you will get through it having made the right choice.

• Posted

Hi, I agree with everything Aged To Fast has said, especially about loss of orgasm and other problems.   I regret bitterly having a total hysterectomy and especially as the surgeon took my healthy cervix away.  Some medics believe keeping the cervix helps retain orgasm.  If you mean by 'partial' keeping the cervix, I would do so.  Yes other people say they are fine, no problems - but why risk it when other women are never the same again and end up not having sex as 'what's the point'.  I am on HRT estogen only which has helped and I do have a sex drive but the Big 'O' has gone completely.

• Posted

So sorry to hear , I had a total hysterectomy ( Vaginal incision ) and I was put on HRT right away, but I can still reach the big O. so I'm wondering why you can't and is there other's out there that can't ? I worried about that before hand, but I had so many problems that it was a risk I was willing to take , since before my surgery I didn't enjoy sex cause of the pain it caused me, and now that is better, I just don't have much of a sex drive. is there anything to take to help that ?? thanks

• Posted

Hi Leah, thanks for your kind thoughts.  That is the dilemma, what did my surgoen, and other women's surgeons do or not do to make us this way when other women are OK.  There are tons of women out there who cannot reach the Big O after hysterectomy.  If you read the articles in HERS Foundation you will see this.  Some people have said on here that it's all in my head and I'm stressing but this is not the case and my doctor agrees I do not have a psychological problem.  I had a lady tell me in person that she was fine and I would be too and to have no worries at all after hysterectomy.  I did not expect at all that I would end up like this.  I have been allowed to go back on HRT which has improved my sex drive, so want to do it but it's like a complete none event.  Sorry to moan at you and I am pleased you are fine, part from low libido which. I believe HRT will help with.   Take care.

• Posted

Hi, Assassa,

I'm sorry that you are going through this.  Unfortunately, I think that surgeons have no way of knowing what's going to happen during or after surgery.  In my generation, I was raised to believe that medicine could offer certainties.  

Many years later, I know that no doctor can.  There is no way to predict what will happen, or even why it would happen, because each person's physiology is so different.  They just don't know. I think that they believe they have to be optomistic for the patient's sake; and hope for the best outcome. 

I hope that you have a partner that loves you and will help you to continue to continue to explore, and find ways to bring you more pleasure.  It's a shame to be without it. xxx

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I am endometrial cancer survivor and had hysterectomy at the age of 38. For me, hysterectomy is not an option but a compulsory operation. Complications after surgery will be a long term ones but do keep in mind everyone are different. I still suffer lower back pain, on and off problem with bladder and past motion, cramp of leg die to poor blood circulation.

If I had an option between hysterectomy and other treatment option, I will opt for the latter.

Decision shall be yours..

• Posted

Hi lori.

I felt like you up until the day of my op when the surgeon came to see me.

I only had 1 ovary due to surgery 9 years earlier.

My only advise is not to read too much and go on your gut feeling, everybody elses experience is different and only you know how you feel and the troubles that have led to you having this op.

My personal experience was that i just didnt want to be sat infront of another surgeon in a few years having to discuss removal of my remaining ovary after having a hysterectomy.

Due to constant problems with fibroids and ,cysts over the years i feared further problems and felt it best for me to remove the lot.

Im just over 4 weeks post op and im not going to pretend its been easy and i know i need to heal further but im getting there.

Goodluck with it all....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.