Help me understand what this pain is and if I can help it

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've just recently been involved in being hit by a car, I am non weightbearing for 6 weeks and I'm currently at the 5 and a half week mark. My doctor told me I managed to stretch a nerve from my back attached to my hip ( I think, I don't quite understand and he was very short with explaining it). Because of this I had pins and needles in my foot from the moment of the accident and then about 3 weeks after my injury I started experience burning, feeling of electrical shocks, numbness and hypersensitive in my big toe and th inner arch of my foot.

My doctor told me there's not much they can do for me, which I'm struggling to deal with as it is painful and I can't sleep cause it hurts the most at night time for some reason!

Has anyone experienced anything similar, what can I do to help. Will it go away eventually and if so how long will it take until it starts to go away. Will walking again help once I start ? Any help or experiences like mine would be great!

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes nerve damage can be reversed of that would be the case . You might want to get more information from the same doctor or a second opinion . I have peripheral neuropathy giving me the same symptoms of pins and needles numbness and burning of the feet and legs. I take a combination of Cymbalta and Liri I take a combination of Cymbalta and Lyrica. Sometimes the pain gets so severe I have to take an opiate just to calm the pain . Not sure mine is reversible because this is classified as a disease . However yours can change through time. Hope that helps and hope you feel better with time.
  • Posted

THis does sound like nueropathic nerve pain. I take Gaberpentin and amitriptyline for nerve pain. Everybodys pain is different and it is trial and error as to what helps. See your GP again or another one in the practice if you feel you need a second opinion. 
  • Posted

sorry for your pain.....it's going to be a long road ahead of you. I also have peripheral neuropathy with th same symptoms. a very important step you must take is to find out what is causing it. Once you find out, the condition  must be treated so the peripheral neuropathy will not get worse. 

I have found that the common use drugs for my condition have bad side effects that I do not tollerate well. I take Kolinipin to take the edge off the pain. Also I wear Pure wool socks most of the time. for some oddball reason  the socks help with he pain, especially at night when the pain seems worse and I am trying to get some sleek.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your accident Lauren.  You seem to have a GP like mine!  I am not a doctor but from all the evidence given on the forum you can learn a lot!  To me this "stretched nerve" sounds like a prolapsed disc trapping the nerve root.  (That is what I have been told I have after eventually getting to see a consultant at the hospital.). It took me a year and the consultant wanted to know why I had taken so long to get to see him!  I told him that I had been trying to get referred to the hospital but my GP told me to "walk more and do some gardening".  He was amazed by this and shook his head and told me that I should have been seen earlier.  He put me on his urgent list and I am going for my operation on 9th August.  It's for a Decompression and Discectomy.  The consultant has also told me that I might not get a full recovery but partial, due to the delay.

This is why I think you at least should have a scan to find out what exactly the trouble is.  There are things which can be done but a delay can cause

increase pain and trouble.  As in my case.

Good luck and keep asking for medication there are many but they have different effects on people.  So keep trying and go back and get something else if the first drugs do not help.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.