Help needed, tablets aren't working

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

My hayfever has been terrible this year! Last year I was put onto fexofenadine as the over counter meds do nothing for me, the fexofenadine worked great last year but this year they are not working at all. My eyes are so itchy they are now red and sore, my nose is blocked up and I have a terrible itchy mouth which is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I can try? I'm going to try and get an appointment with my GP but I'll be lucky to be seen any time soon. Thanks for any help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had to have my Fexofenadine upped to 180mg a day as the lesser amount stopped having effect. I have continual Ryhinitis all year. I hope you get sorted.
  • Posted

You can get eye drops from the chemist and nasal sprays from your gp to top up the a antihistamine. If it doesn't work you should require your doctor to be transferred to an allergic clinic.
  • Posted

visine eye drops worked for me. I think you can use it for a week or so. 

you could try different antihistamines and nasal costeroid sprays.

Was just recently in the news, acupunture might be an alternative option. I believe it works for some, but not for everybody, but in your case I would give it a go.

When your at home you should close all doors & windows.

Do you know what you are allergic to? How long does it last? 

• Posted

Air purifiers such as you can see on allergy uk Web page may be useful indoors. They are indeed able to clean the polen indoors.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I went to the doctors yesterday and I don't think she had a clue what to do, she's gave me 10mg loratadine which are nothing doing, it says to only take 1 a day well I had to take 2 yesterday. I'm going to go to the chemist and see if they have any eye drops. I'm not sure what it s exactly that I'm allergic to, I just know it happens every year between June and september.
    • Posted

June to Sep, that's a long time to suffer. 

It could be the high pollen in the air, there is not much you can do with it besides the ususal stuff chemists / doctors prescribe: antihistamines, nasal sprays, drops,. Even if you knew what you are allergic to, the only thing you can do is top avoid it, but most of the time it is very hard. Unless it's smething like allergy to cats, but that won't be seasonal.

I would still try acupuncture. You never know, you might be the lucky one where this treatment helps. As the conventional drugs not helping you, maybe alternative ones might help.

• Posted

I am gonna be up the front but I expect you take no offense, she knows what is going on but I think the UK guidelines states that you have to be more sick, or specially sick for more time (two seasons) before referring you to an allergic clinic. In the short term go for the machine (it really helps) and change gp. Change because she certainly has more things in the arsenal for hay fever, such as nasal sprays (dymista or similars). I have no eye symptoms but eye drops in the chemist do help indeed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.