HELP new to site new to hiatal hernia

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi im gary i have not been diagnosed properly with HH doc thinks i have one been on rinitidine 300mg at night feels like something stuck in throat  , burping lots , pain in back like burning , no heatburn but burning feeling , pain left side under below ribs and top of stomach is this normal or do i have something more serious ??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary, your symptoms are concomitant with reflux.

The lump in the throat feeling is probably globus which can be caused by the cricopharyngeus muscle at the top of the oesophageal column spasming in an attempt to prevent refluxate aspirating into the respiratory system.

Reflux starts with stomach contents entering the oeosphagus via the lower oesophageal sphincter. Hiatus Hernia is frequently associated with this. If it travels the full height of the oesophagus, it can reflux via the upper oesophageal sphincter into the throat. This is correctly termed extra-oesophageal reflux and commonly known as LPR.

To reduce reflux, lose weight if necessary, avoid over-filling your stomach by eating little and often, don't eat for at least 3 hours before bed and raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

• Posted

thank you,  so what about the pain left side  and in gut ?
    • Posted

People experience various referred pains  from acid hyper-excretion and reflux but best discussed with your doctor in case it's something else.
  • Posted

i have been on 300mg rinitidine and omoprazole 40mg a day when does it start to work 3weeks now

• Posted

The drugs will be reducing your acid but they are not magic. You will need to look at what causes your acid hyper-secretion - your own particular trigger foods.

And acid suppressants will do nothing to help your reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.