Help or Advice please............

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I have had this since December last year and nothing so far has helped. When I first treated it with Nizoral cream the patches faded really quickly and I thought it had gone, (they were on my stomach and back and one under arm) I was so relieved to go on my honeymoon patch free! I got a wonderful tan and felt great to have even skin. Anyway 3 days after returning home the patches returned looking really obvious against my tan so I immediately went to the doctors, he prescribed me Sparanox capsules 1 per day for 15 days and ketoconazole shampoo, first of all the patches faded but the whole of my body became hyper sensitive and itchy then the patches flared up bright red like burns, I stopped using the shampoo and it calmed down but I'm still having to use Nizoral cream to attempt to keep it under control.

I found that using a sunbed is fading the patches but I am going on holiday with my husband and young children in 1 week and am pretrified about the rash spreading to other parts of my body in more noticable places, has anybody found that the sun actually helps (as maybe it did on honeymoon) and is there any other miracle cure out there other than the above mentioned and Selesun (which again reacts on my skin)

Any help or advice would be muc appreciated, like some of you I am becoming obsessed with this and am beginnin to feel very depressed.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I got prescribed Itraconazole (Sporanox) a month after finishing the course I got a tan and my patches dissappeared. They've been gone for a couple of months now.

So I would recommend getting a natural tan. I didn't use any sun beds or fake tan on them. There's no trace of them now and mine were really bad, white patches all down my arms and reddish brown ones on my chest.

I know how you feel when you say you are gettin depressed about it. It got me really down, people were always asking what it was cause it was in such a noticable place.

I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

• Posted

When i first had PV the doctors didnt know what it was and treated me for everyting so i had this rash most places by this point. I ended up going private to see a dermatologist, he said i had PV and also psoriasis (which was triggered by having PV) and did suggest using the sun bed to get rid of it. This did work, but did take a while for the patches to disappear i was also told to moisturise (one without alchol) so i used baby oil, which helps.

I now seem to get PV every year, so my doctor gives me itraconzole (2 a day for 10days) and this clears it up straight away, but this also trggers psoriasis so i do have to go on the sun beds after getting this, my opinion if you dont go on too much this will hopefully help. Also natural sun will help clear it up too

• Posted

I am 24 year old male, I have had pityriasis Versicolor (PV) on my stomach and have now for about 6 months now. For the first couple of months I didnt think much of it because it was very mild reddish brown color with no other symptoms. Since then I have been to the 3 or 4 different doctors and recently a dermatologist who diagnosed me with PV. Initially from the doctors who didn't really know what it was prescribed me with various creams and also got me to give various scrapings to hep determine what exactly it was.

During my time I have done two skin scrapings both which have come back blank (negative)

I have been prescribed various creams (4 now) none of which have worked.

Since seeing the Dermatologist a month or two a go she diagnosed me with PV. She prescribed me Itraconazole (sporanox). I finished this but I noticed that the area infected was actually increasing. I was prescribed sporanox again along with Selsun (selium Sulfide) of which I have recently finished.

I still have the condition and if anything it looks like it is spreading.

I have read your comments about how tanning has improved the condition. I will try this and will also be re-seeing the dermatologist for a check up so will reply back to this post.

Keep the comments coming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.