Help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone about a month and a half ago. 8 or 9 days after I went to the hospital and they gave me crutches and a open toe boot , I went to a orthopedic doctor (this point it hurt when i just touched my foot down to the ground) and got a few xrays done , he told me I didn't need surgery .. That I didn't need a hard cast to just wear the boot and stuff, that I need to start putting pressure on it to losen the muscles or what not to make it hurt less. After that I started to try regardless of pain and day after that I was down to one crutch not applying full pressure to my broken foot. (And been down to one crutch since then)

But I've encountered a problem or two

1 - its been almost 2 weeks now since I've been walking bare foot and only feel my heal bones touching the ground causing discomfort , is this normal?

2 - i still feel the bone out of place almost two months later as if its not healing

ANY ANSWERS PLEASE ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Can you explain more about the type of fracture? That makes a big difference?
    • Posted

Towards the bottom of my 5th metatarsal bone like a y looking fracture. I'd send a pic of my xray but this won't lemme upload a picture
    • Posted

Oh mine is at the neck/head so it's whole different deal. You can follow hte post I've been on for a few months: Fifth metatarsal displaced fracture type 3 share your experiences

However, your fracture sounds different from ours.

• Posted

I broke my 5th metatarsal (jones fracture) but was advised to go full non weight bearing for 6 weeks, then 2 weeks lightly applying weight with one crutch before full weight bearing. Then after this I was advised to go for a solid sole shoe and avoid going bare foot.I had  a removable ski boot at first but asked for a cast as i kept taking it off! I know all breaks are different and different doctors give different advice. But I would go back to your Hospital/surgery and get them to have another look. Maybe you will get another doctor who will have a diffeent viewpoint.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi, do you have the Xrays ? I had the same fracture and it's been 15 weeks using the air cast moon boot and using crutches for about 12 weeks now i am not using crutches no more and putting weight also doing PT. Don't walk barefoot you can re- injured again since all the ligaments staring to fusion together always wear the boot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.