Help please

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed prozac for very minor depression, occasional anxiety and menopause symptoms. I managed to take it for 6 days, but started with awful anxiety which I just cant cope with so I stopped taking them. I was ok for 2 days - felt great, but have now started with anxiety again. Is this a side effect of stopping prozac and does anyone know how long it will last?

I just want to get back to how I was before taking these tablets - I wont take anti-depressants again as they dont suit me.

I dont mean to upset anyone who takes AD's as I know they work really well for most people.

Can anyone help and give me some advice please?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I am also on Prozac and for the first couple of weeks they can make your anxiety worse before it gets better. You should really take your doctors advice as to carrying on with them. And yes, coming off them will make your anxiety return also
  • Posted

Hello,

I tried prozac and only managed 9 days, I was positive about trying them given the reviews. I think I got every side effect possible, it was hell. I don't believe I needed them originally and wasn't ready to try another. They don't suite everyone.

It took me 2/3 weeks to get over them. I did get worse before getting better as I stopped straight away (doctors orders) oppose to tapering off.

My stomach settled after about 5 days, anxiety rose (probably worse than to begin with) but calmed down after a week or so. For about another week I had leg pains, night sweats, fevers in the morning mainly, odd shivers and shakes.

After about 2 weeks I just had a hell of a migraine and it kinda fizzled out. Feeling fine and perfect again now so guessing it's over. 

It has a very long half life per tablet so takes awhile to get out your system sadly. Just keep drinking plenty of water and eat healthy. 

I am back to enjoying a glass of wine in the evening and a morning coffee now and it feels great smile

• Posted

Thanks Thomas.

Thats just the reply I needed, our stories sound similar. I am so relieved that i will feel better in a few weeks time. I can't eat and the moment, like I said my anxiety is awful BUT I can cope if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hello,

Yes I didn't start feeling completely better until 3 months after taking them... And there are still some bad days. I can say tho it got very very bad before it got better. Made my depression terrible and scary... My anxiety was horrible. I cried ALOT... But now I feel a lot better. I don't worry as much... And I am able to go out and get out with friends now. Things do get better. I don't expect to be on this forever tho. Hopefully I get off it after 6 months

I wish you the best

• Posted

I am in the tapering process after 7 months of fluoxetine. I think it takes taking this med to get weather it works or not. For me I've felt worse this whole time. This tapering I am doing per my pharmacist and very slow. Definitely a hell being on it with everything it has given me for side effects. I know others have good results and that's great. For us other's, it is as you say, hell and very difficult but tomorrow is a new day and it's one day at a time. I'm officially a non believer of SSRI's and what they do to the brain.

• Posted

I've been off 5mg Prozac for 3 days I feel like I'm going to die yes it is the medicine.Going back to Dr. Tomorrow can't do this no more for me. Will let you know what he said .lm going Monday August 29 2016 get in touch with me so I can tell you

• Posted

I am so sorry you are not feeling yourself.

I can understand why you don't feel happy to take these tablets however if you find the right one's they can really improve how you feel. The downside is that your body needs to adjust to them and this can cause unwanted side effects like you mention.

It might be that these are just not the right one's for you.

It might be worth booking in some counseling, this can help and will also give you the chance to talk it out.

Just remember you are not alone and we are here to listen and support you.

Time is a healer and thing's will get better.

X

• Posted

You will...trust me I have been where you are and I felt the same feelings / thoughts. It will get better you just need to find the right meds. Also allow time for them to get in to your system. Unfortunately these things can sometimes take time to work but focus your thoughts on a goal. Something you wish for when you feel better. Mine was something really simple...having my family round for a dinner party at Christmas. I did it and got there even though I never in a million years thought I would.

I've been battling these demons since I was 16...I am now 32 and don't get me wrong it's been dark but you can kick it's ar*e! Don't let this consume you...challenge it...for every negative think of a positive. It helped me to make a list and when you have a good day look back at it and say I did it!

You will get through this...it does get better.

X

• Posted

Hello . I also am on this medication, , And felt the same as you .Mine took 4 months before they started to work. Now they are kicking in , I am feeling a lot better. I have started back to work now X.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.