Help please - I'm on the edge!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I have battled with PCOS for 3 yrs and been on metformin for 2.5 years. In this time, I've had very few periods and my weight hasn't come down - I also followed a low GI diet for 2 of these years and this didn't help either. Furthermore I have mobility issues following a car accident so any exercise involving bending knees is impossible. I have been going swimming for 5 months now 3 times a week but the weight loss is non existent. My GP believes I am lying about my food intake as I'm not losing weight despite me dieting and giving him a week's food diary. The metformin has made me extremely depressed - ever since I went on it I've not been myself and have destroyed relationships due to my mood swings and paranoia. has anyone else felt like this on metformin? I didn't take it for a week on holiday and I felt wonderful - told Gp this and he said it was rubbish!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillytaylee,

I'm so sorry that Metformin isn't proving effective for you and that you are suffering side-effects as a result of taking this medication.

Have you spoken with your local pharmacist? Although I have 'no issues' with Metformin, I've found that I suffer horrible side-effects with other medications and rather than speak to my GP (who tends to be dismissive), I've discussed the issue with my pharmacist and she has been brilliant - when she doesn't know the answer, she'll research the subject (but this is rare as she is a mine of really helpful information). On many ocassions, she's recommended alternative drugs which have been 'great' (and did what they were supposed to do).

Other than this, I'm sorry, I can't really offer any other advice!

Good Luck

• Posted

Try taking Antagolin, (natural) and I have heard other ladies sayig that taking a combination of meteformin and clomid worked for them.

Another product I came accross is YOUR TEA it says it helps with PCOS.

• Posted

Sorry - I've no experience of either so I can't help but surely anything is worth a try?
  • Posted

Change drs. If your honest and still not losing weight that speaks Ill of that Dr not you. Would you blame a mental ill person for an emotional outburst? Nope. Remember this is a metabolic disease as much as it messes with your ovaries. I was hitting plataues too my Dr did more blood work turned out I have a pituitary tumor and non alchoholic fatty liver disease all messing with my metabolism. My Dr put me on Adipex a bit too strong I had to go have dose on it but am steadily losing weight now. Keep your head up don't blame your self once your on a metabolism booster the excercise will start coming naturally. Also when you go to the new Dr find out what vitamins you are deficient in and take needed vitamins never miss a dose. Your liver your spleen and your brain are the organs that need support through this hard time to recover from Pcos. It's hard believe me but I am working thru it and here for you. smile
  • Posted

Good advice from others - try changing your GP and again (if you have to) until you find one who is empathetic to your situation (and who is willing to initiate whatever tests are necessary to get to the bottom of your issues).

Don't lose sight of the end-game.........it will come!

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.