Help? Possible reaction to Methimazole?

Posted , 7 users are following.

was diagnosed with Graves' disease about a month ago after months of feeling pretty terrible. I began taking Methimazole to treat it 3 weeks ago, 5 mg twice daily, and I believe I'm having crazy side effects. I began getting a sore throat one week after taking it that I'm not able to shake, but I wenf to an urgent care a few days ago and labs for blood cells were normal. That's not my main worry though, for the past week I have been having the craziest muscle issues that are starting to scare me. Not only do I feel pretty weak (probably from the graves) especially in my right hand, I keep getting insane muscle spasms and jerks. When I'm laying in bed its difficult to even sleep. Also, I work with computers, and the past couple days it's like my hands are stiff, when I type and click the mouse it feels strange. I called the dr, but they said they will discuss it at my next appointment in a few weeks, and i called two pharmacists that don't believe its drug related. I'm starting to get scared it's something serious like ALS, and I guess I'm just going to have to worry the next few weeks. Has anyone else had strange reactions like this to Methimazole?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

That's not a high dose of Methimazole and I don't think the muscle problems are due to the drug.  Hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of carnitine, an amino acid from their muscles through urination as well as other vitamins and minerals.  There was a research paper done that showed that adding L-Carnitine, 3,000 mg to the treatment regimen of hyperthyroid patients helped them to replace this and helped the muscular problems.  I got tested before I took it and I was deficient in carnitine and I was also deficient in vitamin D as are most hyperthyroid patients.  Magnesium as well.  I started to feel much better when I added these supplements to my treatment and I was able to lower my dose of Methimazole then to 7.5 mg.  I found lowering the doses slowly as my labs improved was also beneficial and other Graves patients I know suffer when they drop too much too fast.   I hope to get my Naturopath to test me for all vitamins this year but it is a little costly at around $300.00

• Posted

Hi tiffanyjo

I also had similar issues 2 days after commencing carbimazole for Graves and I don't believe I was not on a high dose.  I had never had problems with my knee and foot however 2 days into taking carbimazole they became incredibly swollen and painful.  2 days into taking carbimazole I developed shocking cramps in my muscles too and stiffness like you mention in your hands. However I have to say the irritated skin and itching for me was the worse symptom which has never settled completely since taking carbimazole.  I stopped taking it, my knee, foot, skin on my hands have not been the same since taking carbimazole despite never having problems before taking it.  I believe some people tolerate it and others don't simple as that, no matter what the dose. 

• Posted

I understand the Methimazole can lower your white blood cell count and make you less resistant to disease.  I remember being told that when sick and the doctor wants to run a white blood cell count, there was a special kind of test that would show the proper results where a typical test would not.

If I were you, I would take my pulse; if it is below 80 beats per minute you might be safe in lowering your medication by one pill per week.  See how it makes you feel and if your heart rate does not climb beyond that speed, you will probably not be in as much danger from the hyperthyroidism as from the susceptibility to viral or bacterial attacks.  

I cannot really give you medical advice, however.  I am not a doctor nor even any kind of medical professional.  I'm just saying what I would do.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, they have made me feel better. I was starting to feel a little crazy. I just hope it's thyroid related and nothing more serious. I don't have all of my lab results, but I know the last time I had a thyroid panel before the treatment they all three were pretty off. I had the uptake scan and they were very elevated both times. The only thing off on blood tests has been my potassium, which has been slightly low every time I get my blood drawn. This last time it was 3.4 and the normal range is above 3.8. I'm not sure I've had magnesium checked, maybe I need to look into that. I feel like these symptoms must be related to the thyroid since they began weeks after beginning treatment. I am hoping to get some answers at my next appointment.
  • Posted

I just started this medication Metgimazole 5 mg 3x daily. She told me to try and get 2 doses in today and to make sure I take it with food as it could make me sick to my stomach. I know it isn't a high dose, but why do I see some people take it 2x a day and some take it 3x a day? I will keep y'all updated as to how it is going.
  • Posted

Hi tiffany. I also have Graves. I've known for about 7 years now. I also took Methimizol prior to having my thyroid removal. It was the worst. I'm still suffering from the damage the meds did to my body. You see Methimizol attacks fast replicating cells. As a result I am now loosing my once perfect teeth. Next moth I have to have all my teeth removed and get dentures. So personally I wouldn't take it. I wish I hadn't.

• Posted

Were you on a high dose of Methimazole?  I have taken a low dose for years with no bad effects.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.