Help! Some kind of IBD???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've just joined this forum as I'm desperate for some advice. I will try and keep this post as short as possible! It started this past Friday, around 3:00 AM I woke up with excruciating abdominal pain mainly left side that woke me from sleep. I sat on the toilet for somewhere close to 4-5 hours with no relief after having many BMs. I noticed my stool was a mix of hard and loose and had a lot of mucus and a little bit of blood. The thing is, I have had this excruciating pain before, always occurs in the middle of the night but never has it been this horrible! I wanted to go to ER... Since Friday after this "flare" I have been bed ridden with severe left side abdominal pain, left side flank pain, and severe back pain. It feels raw and burns and feels as if gas is trapped only on my left side and won't come out. Salty or fatty foods make it way worse. My home doctor asked me about IBD and IBS and the other bowel problems and I have had painful issues all my life. Doctors never seem to know what it is so say IBS of course. They told me I have to have an endoscopy? Thought it was colonoscopy asap but the waiting list is 5 weeks! Does anyone have similar symptoms and this horrible pain that seems to linger? I feel this is something more than just IBS... Blood work came back normal but am aware that inflammation doesn't always show up. Also had a bit of a fever.

Appreciate any help!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Short answer IBS normally does not produce blood. Unless you have a hemmroid that is causing blood. Inflammation happens like this.....The bacteria attack the mucous layer, trying to get to the epithelial cells. Your epithelial cells are in your respiratory system, your digestive system and your skin. In fact, the cells/tissue in your G.I sytem is like that of skin, kind of. Your cells lay beneath your mucous layer. If I could draw I would to illustrate what I am saying. So a bacteria will attack the mucous layer to destroy those cells. Those cells help produce the mucous layer. If the cells are destroyed  and cannot produce enough mucous layer they will then expose the tissue cells.

This is not a copy and paste answer btw, this is  me writing, no wikipedia.....lol. View it this way, on the surface we have a layer called the mucous layer. That mucous layer is very thick of mucous fluid, which can help protect those epitheliel cells of an organ system. So when bacteria get in and try to damage the cells, then obviously since those cells help with mucous layer, they cannot produce it as much. This then exposes the tissue. it's almost like if I had a three layer wedding cake( never been married )....but first you have at the top, the mucous layer, in the middle epithileal cells, which helps form the top layer, then at the bottom layer you have tissue. The bacteria tries to get to that tissue, so the mucous layer, or top of the cake, cannot form. The bacteria wants to cancel your wedding lol...so to speak. So in this process, the mucous layer keeps on shedding and shedding. If bacteria get to tissue level, then this triggers inflammation, which then triggers a response, then you have the symptoms. That is with bacteria. 

Bacteria to check for, if in stomach is called H.Pylori. It does exactly what I said in the stomach. It can sit for years with no symptoms. Remember inflammation sometimes has to happen to induce symptoms, but does not mean nothing is going on in that three layer cake. We call this gastritis, if in the stomach. Inflammation of the stomach. What do we call inflammation of the colon? Colitis. Read the terms backs wards, then you get the condition. 

Again, this is purely with Bacteria infecting. Sometimes, ...I just did a power point on human bacteria, as I grew some in a lab. So I cannot illustrate, but if you have too much bad bacteria overiding the good, it can be bad. That's why anti-biotics can have bad side effects...anti..means against. However, it can kill good and bad. If it happens to kill more good than bad, then problems can arise. This is rare, but why not as I am typing throw it out there. 

With IBD. The theory is ...I say theory bc it actually is...There is no known cure or no known cause. If we do not know the cause, than how can we say, we know everything as fact...it's an accepted theory from a pure science prospective. However, in IBD, the antibodies, attack tissue( itself, the host ). Like in the first example, would be with a normal person and a normal immune system...the three layer cake. However, what if we didn't need any layers to the cake? We expose the tissues. Well our antibodies if you will can attack, thinking there is that invader, when there is not.....hence immuno problem...or auto-immune. Like a bad auto pilot....or like The movie, " Wedding Date." The wedding date was supposed to make the girl look good as she was single. However, what if a wedding date did the exact opposite of what their intended purpose was, and self destruct the wedding. It's kind of like that. I just figured if I was giving a three layered cake example. 

Ok, so there you have it, and I could type longer and get more specific with auto immune...IBD...but my hand is tiring lol. 

So bacteria in a good immune system can do what I said, in the three layer cake. H. pylori can do just that, in the stomach...which can cause Ulcers....which in fact, might be the reason for an endoscopy. An endoscopy would check stomach for things as well. Not saying it's H.pylori....but if nothing is seen on a colonoscopy and it was done rescent, then maybe this can lead to the above thinking( the concept of it, not saying it is bacteria driven or gastritis etc ). Again, things can sit for years, but our auto immune system work well, but when it doesn't...then things can happen. Both small things and big things. Just as a side note. 

Also stress like anxiety can speed up your insides by 3-5x the amount. I can right a paper on that....in our bowels we have these waves that help move things. No need to know that. Just know relax, anxiety can just make things worse. Also, usually anything out of the ordinary ...your ordinary....so say if someone with UC bleeds 3 times a day....then does it again...well that's their normal. However, lets say if someone never bleeds and completely healthy, then that is not normal. If person who bleeds 3 times a day, starts to bleed 10 times, then that's not their normal. So anything that is severe that is not normal should get a docs opinion usually within a week. So it is only an accute problem and does not develop into chronic....We always say this with sports injuries, cause us guys like to tough it out. Ha. Left side pain can be IBD....but don't assume it, as it may not be. Sometimes the internet is a bad search as it does have no one with actual factual truth writing. 

I mean bowel blockage can cause sharp pain in left side as things try to get from ileum( the last part of your small intestine ) to the colon. Sometimes things block, and liquid can still pass through. So many examples I could give for symptoms. 

Anyway, anyone can feel free to contact me in regards to UC or talk.

Hope this helped. Hope all goes well. 

• Posted

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for replying! I understand what you're saying with the cake layer example. Yeah, the thing is as far I can tell I have had some blood in my stool as of recent. Maybe it's getting worse? The doctor thinks it's some form of IBD, and have searched up my exact symptoms and it points at IBD. Not saying it is but I would much rather have UC or Crohn's rather than IBS. And the blood test came out okay, some white blood cells were a bit higher but had a fever then. And what's making me think it's IBD is that I have these horrid flares very randomly which always seem to happen when I'm asleep and wake up with chills, cramping, urge to have a BM. And have not had a BM in two days now. 😕

• Posted

@ replying, not a problem. Glad you got the cake example. Most would rather have a IBS dx Than UC or Crohn's. Like I get why you would say that....bc your putting a face to the problem. However, that's not a mask you would want to where. 

Unless your sensative, yogurt is usually a friend. Not to much yogurt. I can comment later though. What your saying is a caution, but you seen your doctor. I mean, IBS can cause constipation, etc. IBD via scope vs blood test. I mean it's good your blood work came back normal. WBC's typically go up because the body is fighting an infection, but not always.

What I am saying is, if you search anything related to your symptoms, you can come up with a bunch. One time a friend called and her father was having acid reflux like symptoms....but me, I always think of the worst case. I thought Pancreatic C. Just on symptoms....could of been anything...search GERD, Acid reflux, Ulcer etc....But in my head I just had a filling...I never said anything to my friend, why make her nervous if it's nothing....95% it usually is not what we think. Unfortunately a few weeks later, they called and told me something that alarmed me about the liver. The liver has like two ducts that go into it....long story short, the bad news hit....it was what I thought. 95% of the time, it usually is not what we think. I would say, yes you have a room for caution. Yes, people with UC have left side pain...or even sharp pain. Most have frequent Bms....main problem and blood. However, some people get similiar symptoms and it's nothing serious at the end of the day. Certainly if it gets worse, contact your doctor, and yes this is something of a caution to check with a doctor, but i think you mentioned you did that. If it gets worse though, maybe contact again.  However, you mentioned you had a possible colonoscopy done before? Again, yogurt is sometimes a friend, just not too much.  

• Posted

That's true, people tend to think of the worst but I think IBD is a pretty reasonable answer. I have never had a colonscopy of any kind done before so this will be my first. A bit nervous, must be very uncomfortable... I also seem to be extremely sensitive to certain foods and have found that can't tolerate gluten so am also on a strict gluten free diet which has helped a great deal with somewhat regular bowel movements... Always have had extreme loose D and now it's the opposite. 😅 And before going gluten free I suffered from severe migraines. Not sure if this is all connected. But flares always seem to happen anyways. 😕

• Posted

@Hanna, I was under the impression you had a colonoscopy done. However, if you not, then yes that is a likely area to look. Endoscopy is also applicable, if your docs always thought IBS. Typically UC starts in the rectum, for a lot it stays in that area. A colonoscopy, is not the scaiest thing in the world....but it's not the most pleasant. I say that because, you got the little procedure..btw it only has a 1 in 200 chance of something going wrong in a scope. However, it's also the results. So with those two combined, yes it can be stressful. If it just came down to the physcial part, not emotional or mental, of the procedure...it's not much. I am sure getting a hairy area waxed hurts worse. It's just can be uncomfortable feeling.....but if it just came down to the physcial. It isn't that bad. So for example, if you knew you got a scope and everything was going to come back fine, but just had to deal with the physical part....it is not bad. However, you combine, emotions, and mentality, and some unknown result( which provies emotion and mental ), then it becomes uncomfortable. However, if your worried about just the physical part of it, pain, uncomfortable....is not much to get too worked up about....the other things are. I will say this, it is uncomfortable, but if you eve had a spinal tap, a spinal tap on a level of uncomfortable probably would win. 

@Ehsan, yes it's important once UC is DX to get scoped every 3-5 years, or major problems persist, because with UC, since we are replenishing the mucous layer....look at the three layer cheese cake example, each time those cells reproduce, a bad mutation can happen over time. This can lead to dysplasia. So monitoring UC after D every 3-5 is good. Sometimes it can be evey 2 years. After 10 years of UC stats show most should get scoped every 2 years....it goes back to that muscous layer, and the layered wedding cake example. 

As a side note: If on CT @Hanna and @ehsan, if you have UC, and lymph nodes come back a little swelled, that is normal for someone having inflammation....to an extent..I know it's off topic, but if you ever run into that, some people make mistakes and presume the lymph nodes are swollen from something else. However, inflammation can be a causative factor in that. Just a side note. 

@ Ehsan, feel free to read my previous reply to Hanna on anti-biotics. I think I briefly wrote. 

- Rick Bitty

• Posted

Hi hanna

I have had many threads on this, and like to share my experiences. Firstly, you MUST have the colonoscopy done. I do every 3-4 years. I have had flare ups twice; first about 3 years ago. The I went gluten free for a few weeks, and it stopped. Second was a few months ago, after strong anti biotics. It continued for 2 months. I went on charcoal tablets, to stop gassing, and finally replaced cereal breakfast with porridge and Chia bread for lunch, and everything rice based. It stopped completely for me, back to normal. In a few weeks, I can go back to gluten and see what happens, but now I have isolated the problem. Never again strong anti biotics, but I may take the flu vaccine next year.

Cheers 

• Posted

Hi Ehsan,

Thank you for answering, I called my home Doctor and she confirmed it was a colonoscopy that I have to get done. It's a 5 week waiting list and it's been a week now that I have had severe abdomen pain and almost 4 days with out a BM... A bit nervous. Going gluten free has helped immensely with severe loose stools, back pain, migraines etc. but still have tummy troubles and these flare ups happen typically when my body is resting during sleep. Wake up crying and a crippling type pain. I just feel this isn't typical IBS symptoms and have never had pain this severe ever before.

• Posted

Hi Hanna

I came across this post by accident, searching for something for a friend.  The left side severe abdominal pain, bleeding, fever, bloating and many bowel movements are what I experienced 15 years ago.  After my colonoscopy I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease.  Over the years I have had 4 flare ups.  My trigger points are gluten and fat.  Does this sound familiar?  The symptoms for DD are just the same as IBS and I was originally told that is what I had - it was only after the colonoscopy I got the correct diagnosis.  I'm guessing your colonoscopy is just a couple of weeks away and it should confirm or rule out DD.

If it comes back with DD you might like to join that forum, which is full of helpful tips.  In fact you might wish to browse it to see if you can relate to any of us.  However one thing that is suggested for both DD and IBS is to take psyllium husks twice a day.  It softens and thickens the stools, keeps you regular and makes them easy to pass.  I'm guessing from your use of ER you are based in the USA.  The brand name is Metamucil and it comes in the form of an orange powder which you mix in a glass of water and chug down quickly.  In the UK it is Fybogel.

After a pain flare up I suggest you stick to fluids for a couple of days - no fibre - to give your bowels a rest, then slowly bring back easily digestible fibre into your diet.

I hope you get a definitive answer.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Felinia,

Thank you so much for your help! Yes, I have cut out gluten completely now and have a fear of eating anything actually. When traveling I stick to fries but other than that I can't eat fast food anymore and it has helped tremendously. Another symptom that has gotten worse (not sure if it's related but I keep getting these random bouts of feeling like I can't breath, like severe dry throat/mouth and not being able to gasp for air). Cutting out gluten has also diminished my severe migraines which I tend to get a lot. My colonoscopy is on January 23rd so I can let you know if they find anything. I have had these flare ups over the years quiet bad, but this past one was the worst - I was so constipated that I was lucky I went to the hospital and got prescribed different types of laxatives. Still now I don't have a normal stool... I'm really hoping the doctor finds something on my colonoscopy so I can relax and stop being stressed about it. I'm based in the Netherlands and will check out the DD forum.

All the best, Hanna

• Posted

Hi Hanna

Good luck on 23rd.  I suggest you keep a food diary for a time and that might help you identify good and bad foods for you.  Not sure about medication in the Netherlands, but I'm guessing you might be able to order online for psyllium husks if it turns out to be Diverticular Disease.  It's also suitable for IBS and does help with stools.  I've not come across the other symptoms you mentioned.  I do get something similar at night, but I am overweight and sleep with my mouth open which I think is my cause.  

Do let me know the outcome, and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Felinia,

So I had my colonoscopy on Monday, doctor said my colon and intestines look pretty normal. This is making me feel depressed and down, I was hoping it was some kind of IBD but he says it's IBS, can be very severe and painful. Im seeing a dietitian in two weeks to see if this helps ease my pain and symptoms. But the problem is I am in a lot of pain again! I have the same sharp horrible pain in my left side like around my spleen after my colonoscopy. I came across Splenic Flexure and am thinking this is what I have, it's a rare type of IBS and can be very painful. I'm going to go to the home doctor on Monday and tell them about this and say I'm still in a lot of pain. Hopefully this is it and they figure out what is causing my pain.

All the best, Hanna.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.