HELP TROUBLE BREATHING

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently got over a cold now I seem have this nasty may cough that is producing phlegm but it getting sick in my chest n thrust literally cutting of my airway:-(

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You seem to have a big problem with mucosa. Please visit your GP to get some help and call 111 for further advice and support & 999 if you need to, at any point if you feel you cannot breathe.

You may need inhalers for a while to help to relax your airways allowing you to expell the mucus. You could try steaming - very carefully. A bath - again very carefully as the moisture in the air helps lubrictae your air passages allowing you to bring up the phlegm. Sometimes Ricola herbal lozenges (original) help to aromatise and olbas nasal inhaler is good also. Please check that you are not allergic to these though. Drink plenty of fluids regularly, of different types, to keep hydrated and thin the mucus.

Sometimes changing position can help you to cough up better, but again; be careful. There are devices like the "flutter" but I have never tried it. it works I think by sending vibrations down your passages to loosen phlegm. There is also salt caves, you can visit; to help with mucus and "salt pipes", but again I have not tried these and always seek advice from the medical profession first.

You may find that you need a nebuliser...where aerosoled particles can help you with lesseing mucus deposits and calming your airways to breathe better. Your DR may discuss steroids with you. Saline nebulisers can also help. You may find that post nasal drip could be making mucus run down and trouble your airways; but as there are so many chest disorders out there that can follow, as complications from viruses then you're best to check with your dr and persist with investigations. Keep a symptom list and note enything that makes it worse/better.

Warm drinks can help and sometimes warm compresses. You may need antihistamines, but these need to be taken cautiously, as they do not help everyone. Antibiotics may also be prescribed. Keep calm and seek as much help as possible.

Also please remember that when on'es breathing is under pressure it can put the pulmonary system under strain. So if you are not allergic to them, then bananas help with potassium levels and make sure you get monitored for your pulse and heart rate and blood pressure etc.

N

• Posted

I ended up at Er this past Thursday was diagnosed with bronchial pneumonia and upon follow up and additional tests and blood work was told I also have Lyme disease :-( was put on sum serious antibiotics and pill form cough suppressant, docs are a bit worried my wbc is extremely elevated, their hoping with meds and rest I'll improve, hopefully these antibiotics do their JOB :-) Ty all for ur advice, fingers crossed I'll be better in no time :-)

Ps sorry for all my misspelling in original post!!

• Posted

I can only echo all the advice nails has given you, it's excellent advice. Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.