HELP, URETHRA DRIVING ME MAD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my names charlie im 19 and at uni.

As a student I drink a fair bit, also eat rather unhealthily.

Have major discomfort in my urethra (mostly at the place where youre just about to wee).

Been on too many antibiotics to count now and my social life is suffering because of it! nothing has helped so far! 

No blood in urine, Not an STI, No pain in bladder (apart from when i push really had when i need a wee), Not a UTI, No itching/discomfort on vagina itself, Slight burning sensation sometimes when im peeing, 

MUCH worse at night (when I lay down) and even WORSE in the morning (for about an hour or two) 

Been to see doctor who is super helpful but obviously things like scans and cytoscopys take time to organise, so was wondering if anyone can help diagnose/reduce symptoms or just help at all really.

Im especially scared to have sex since ive had this issue and with a boyfriend this can be really upsetting, going away on the weekend with a hotel booked and not sure whether to try to have sex or not, (any help or advice on this would be great).

Also, I havent drank any alcohol since ive had this issue, and was wondering if anyone can suggest how to get around drinking alcohol (what drinks to have, medications to take before/after, things to avoid)

Cocodomol is the only painkiller that really helps, also amitryptiline which I have been prescribed with by my dr. but obviously will have to stop these when I want to drink alcohol.

Ive not suffered from UTI very much, now and then every few years, but this issue started with what felt like a UTI but now just feels located in my urethra.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time (even if you cannot comment) 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

THere is a medication called Pyridium (Phenazopyridine)  which acts as an analgesic for the bladder. I f you take it when you start having that feeling it takes about 1- 2 hours to work and lasts about 24 hours depending on the dosage  .   I t will stop the burning but your urine will turn a bright orange and get flushed out when you urinate, You need to use some kind of panty liner as it can stain. It has been a lifesaver for me but I am not a Dr, so PLEASE ASK YOUR DR . FIRST. i DONT THINK YOU CAN BE ON IT FOR A LONG PERIOD SO FIND OUT FIRST.  i JUST TAKE IT THE MOMENT i FEEL THAT BURNING for a few days and it really helps, I live in Canada and we used to be able to get it from any pharmacy but now have to find a compounding pharmacy that will make it up for me. also drink lots and lots of water,

good luck and I hope you find some help soon, I know how uncomfortable it is.

• Posted

I REPLIED A FEW MINUTES AGO BUT DO NOT SEE IT IN THE DISCUSSIONS .

in a nut shell I said to try PYRIDIUM( PHENAZOPYRIIDINE) iT STOPS THE BURNING BUT TURNS THE URINE ORANGE. IT REALLY REALLY HELPS A FEW HOURS AFTER TAKING  IT AND CAN LAST 24 HOURS.,BUT PLEASE ask   your Dr. first. I dont think you can take it  all the time . good luck with it .

• Posted

Will bring it up with my dr this week, thank you
  • Posted

Might be worth checking that youve not got intersticial cystitus, which causes frequency and discomfort, but no bacteria found in sample,s,you can find more info on c.o.b site about symptoms.  Def sounds like just urethra inflamed  rather than bladder If meds dont help you might need cystascope to find cause. Too bad that bladder urethra probs likely to be aggrevated with alcahol, sex, not much fun with it,  l,d occassionally have a g and t with lots of tonic and ice, cooling, and sip it. Hope the pyridium will work for you.  good luck

• Posted

I have thought about IC but didnt think it was due to no bladder pain, will bring it up with my dr also this week! Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.