Help, what are these stains that keep appearing on my bedding?

Posted , 45 users are following.

Over the last few weeks I am constantly getting these stains appear on my bedding, near the head end of the bed. Mainly appears on the bedsheet but also on pillows.

I have recently been suffering campylobacter food poisoning but this seems to start before that and I think it is probably not related. 

I have also moved home, bought entirely new bedding and still get the problem. I'm washing my bedding regularly and it comes back and is showing no sign of going away.

What can this be, some sort of lice? Please help! My doctors pretty much ignored it when i raised it as they were focussed on the bacterial infection.

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should add that they seem to grow each night. It seems that it must be something coming from my body, but is only affecting the head end of the bed.
  • Edited

I don't want to freak you out...but have you checked for bed bugs? 

Where did you get your bedding?

bed bugs tend to arouse at night...and they go for the "head" of their victim because they are drawn to the carbon dioxide that we breathe out.  They usually bite..leaving small bites that itch on our skin.

They also leave "blood stains" on the sheets...that is a telltale sign of bed bugs.

We had them 2 years ago.  My boyfriend was feeling itchy and thought it was the "bed" so he left the room we were sleeping in...I thought he was crazy...about a month later, I woke up in the middle of the night because I felt something crawling on me....I flipped on the light and about 5 bed bugs took off when I removed my pillow.

I FREAKED OUT.

I had an inspector come to the house...and inspection of the bed confirmed that I had bed bugs.

there will be brown spots on the bedding...and especially under the matteress at the seams.

• Posted

Thanks Misssy. Well i thought it could be this but it just seems to strange that I have moved home, bought entirely new bedding and STILL have them. I haven't found any bugs yet. i did look online and the images didn't seem consistent with what the stains normally look like. But it certainly could be, i am no expert on bed bugs. The spots are more of a purple colour.

Also it seems like they really always expand the same area of staining rather than randomly appearing. 

• Posted

So you HAD them in your old home?

I totally understand the OVERWHELMING....frustration and depression these things cause.

I also threw out all old bedding...bought new beds...new sheets....and I bought a poison on line for them...

The thing that is HORRIBLE with these f*ing creatures is that...they survive for up to one year...and just takes one female to start a new colony..so your prior clothing...if it had any on it...

And what furniture did you bring with you?  Does any of it have crevices? They love living in the crevices.

I really HOPE you don't have these things STILL

• Posted

Yes it's extremely frustrating as it's been a difficult month or two. I didn't bring any furniture as I'm a first time buyer. It doesn't make any sense and now I have horrible stains on my new sheets. 

Where do they live as I have a mattress protector on a brand new mattress with new sheets and duvet and duvet cover, new pillows etc? Are they in the mattress or duvet usually?

• Posted

Have you bought a new bed or are you sleeping on an old bed. I think you have bed bugs definitely.    You need to invest in some sort of reliable pest control. If you are in UK contact your local council who will be able to advise you. Dont ignore the problem as it wont go away on its own.      Incidentally some new research found that the bugs are attracted to red and black and not yellow and green,but dont think that getting green sheets will solve the problem!
    • Posted

Thanks Marina. I literally moved from one place to another, bought entirely new bedding and still had the same issue. I guess there's nothing else it can be so i will look into getting it looked at. 

• Posted

Is it bedding or is it a NEW BED?

If you don't have a new bed...they somehow are getting out of the protector.

• Posted

It's a new bed though it was sitting in the hallway of my parents house in a box for 6 months. I still can't really see how they've transferred from my old bed unless they're on my body/hair etc. So the bedding and bed were new, yet I had the same issue on my old bed. Which is what is so confusing. I filled in a form to my council about pest control.

• Posted

Oh my God..I'm sorry about spooking you...maybe it is not that...google how to set up a trap to really determine if you have them.....I can't right now because i have to run to my mother in laws to fix her TV.

• Posted

Thomas,the bugs could be in the room. They can hide away during the daylight and come out of cracks and crevices when its dark. They will head for you because of the warmth. Hope you get help from the council although some councils have introduced a charge this year 2016 to treat the pests. .  You may need the whole house or flat treated.  Is it an old property? You are more likely to find them in old houses rather than new build.
  • Posted

Take your bed and leave out side on a real hot day in the sun for 8 hours or longer and they will all be gone...
  • Posted

Thomas, I'm wondering if you ever figured this out? I'm experiencing what I believe to be the same thing and I am certain its not bed bugs, but I am baffled (and frustrated). Thanks!

• Posted

Hi im having the same issue and have read that it could be an eyemask youre sleeping with which i sometimes do sleep with so im going to try and whittle it down image

• Posted

Yes! I finally found that online too, after doing a lot of digging. I sleep with an eye mask every night and the night creams I use caused the color to bleed on our linens! Good luck!

• Posted

This is crazy!! I've been having the same problem for months now and destroyed literally all bed linen we own... And I do sleep with a sleep mask for many years now but this problem only started a few months ago... Have any of you maybe figured it out whether this only happens with certain types of creams?!? Thanks for finally helping me understand what has been going on 😃.

• Posted

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found out what it could be? It's been happening on and off for a few month, mainly on my pillow, but today more of these purple stains have appeared on my duvet cover.

• Posted

Same! It started yesterday actually and i tried rubbing my pillow against me and nothing. Then today it happened again! I took a nap on a perfectly clean pillow btw and woke up to the same thing. The nap was about an hour. Then literally 15 minutes ago, I rested my head(about my neck and chin) on a pillow and got up, and boom the stain was there. I seriously have no idea what's going on i wish someone would give a clear answer.

• Posted

thank you!!! been getting very concerned too.... ofcourse!! it is my eye mask so thanks!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.