Help....why aches and soreness at almost 3 months?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hallo!   11 weeks 3 days post A/P with vaginal repair and hysterectomy.        

After having a lovely 3 weeks of no aches or gripes and feeling normal, yesterday and today I have tummyache gripes not unlike a few weeks after the op on and off.    It's enough to take Paracetamol.   I think I read that stitches are still inside for 3 months?  I was told I have 'really good stitches inside' so wonder how long they last for and do they still tighten up?

I thought i was through with this pain but it seems not 😏

I did go out for a 20 minute ride in the car two nights ago and sat for a further two hours in a restaurant before heading back for another 20 minute drive (I wasn't driving) but surely a 20 minute drive wouldn't bring on aching would it?    😜   Grrrrrrr

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello carole. You are right, the stitches can still be there after 12 weeks and it's becoming more common for urogynaecologists to use a type of suture that takes much longer to dissolve and that is a good thing because it gives the surgery a better chance of success. At 11 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to hear about your symptoms and if I recall I was still having to take occasional pain relief after I returned to work at 13 weeks. We underestimate this operation and the effects on our body and as a patient and a professional I know what you describe is normal. Listen to your body....today it's telling you to take things easy. If you need pain relief take it don't be a martyr and put your feet up after a warm bath x

• Posted

Thankyou Matron......pleased to hear this (if you know what I mean) 😊😌

I am itchy in the bottom too! 😵    Saw a stitch last week.

I will continue to take it easy.    xxx

• Posted

Oh yeah, I'm four mos post op and still now n then feel pained actuall full recovery could tske up to a year

• Posted

dianelou is absolutely right when she says a full recovery can take a year. It's something that is said by a lot of women but don't be disheartened it does gradually get better but that's the nature of major surgery.

• Posted

Hi Carole, it's quite normal what you are saying. Three months is very little time, I think many of us have experienced ups and downs during the recovery. Once you think that at last you are completely healed, then you begin to feel bad again. 

As for the stitches, I'm one year after cystocele and hysterectomy op with mesh and still have some stitches inside. The dr explained to me that since the problem with the "crazy cows" ( I don't know how you call it in UK) the sutures used in the ops are not organic any more, so that the ones used nowadays are difficult to be dissolved. I mention this just in case there are any woman worried about stitches.

i will have a rectocele surgery within 15 days and the dr will remove the stitches that I still have in the same event.

in general i have felt very well for months, but lately I have felt some discomfort inside like a tampon feeling that I think that is caused by the stitches although I can't be sure...this is a never ending story... 😝

Hugs!😘😘

• Posted

The tampon feel....yes I can relate 😂  

I had the whole lot done at once.  

Thankyou so much for your reply and all the best with your op in 15 days.

• Posted

I wish I had all the lot done at once like you... I'm terrified by the idea of another op... thanks for your words!! 😘

• Posted

Hi, Carole:

I had a cystacele and rectacele done back in July and when I went for my six week checkup the surgeon said the stitches were all dissolved..It is great getting rid of that horrible prolapse, however, ever since the surgery I've had terrible bowel problems.  I have to take two stool softeners daily, along with a vegetable laxative.  Also, I can only eat about three bites before my stomach hurts.  I have a hiatal hernia on my right side, but my stomach aches are more than just that...I'm wondering if my bowels will ever be the same again...My stools are very hard little balls even though I take all the meds....BTW, I am on Tramadol for back pain, which could add to the constipation, but it was never this bad before the surgery...Hope this helps, sweetie...

• Posted

Hi Carole! Have you tried carbonatum of Magnesium? I take it every other day and it is wonderful to soft the stool. In Spain it,s known as "carbonato de magnesio". It's sold in pharmacies and its very cheap. 

• Posted

Hi Carol

Tramadol can cause no end of stomach problems . I would personally not take it as have seen the effects it has had on a couple of family members . Maybe look into a different pain relief x

• Posted

Tramadol doesn't affect the stomach Kar, that's anti inflammatories. Tramadol can cause constipation but not to the extent that codeine can. 

• Posted

I'll second that as I've had both Tramadol and co codamol at different times. I now have to use Tramadol to control my OA and spinal pain. I find it much more efficient for pain control and does not affect my stomach as codeine did. Can't take anti inflammatories now as they're considered dangerous for the elderly apparently.

• Posted

I can't take anti inflammatories they give me terrible abdominal pain. I take codeine for my OA but prefer Tramadol as it's more effective. I remember you mentioning your spinal pain, I had an X-ray about a month ago as I was suffering badly with back pain and it looks like there's something not quite right because I've been summoned to see my GP on Monday. Hope your OA isn't too troublesome x

• Posted

At the moment it's aggravated by the posterior/vaginal vault prolpase I think! rolleyes Feels like everything is sitting on my coccyx and much worse before BM's! I really hope the surgery will improve things or I suppose I'll have to go back with that next. A bit concerned about the fact that he's fixing VV prolapse to a spinal ligament but he does know about the problem so fingers crossed! confused

• Posted

I am sure your surgery will be successful Pollyanna. I have known patients who have had the same procedure without any problems x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.