Help with complications from hip replacement surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have now been suffering with Arthritis for past 10years...wich resulted in a total hip replacement in Feb of last year...the op for the hip has been fine but it has left me with foot drop...my first question is...has anybody else on this forum suffered with the same problem and if so did it ever get better and if not what is your coping mechanism...I have lost all my confidence and have to wear a brace when I got out....I also suffer with degenerative disc disease in my lower spine...forgot to mention..I am 64 years of age and female...thanks.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kath

Mine isnt exactly the same but about the same time as your hip replacement I had my 2nd one.....February last year. {A year ago!!!!!!}

It was fine, but four weeks post op doing an exercise {NHS} there was a crack and my leg gave way.  Took me into hospital and the long and the short of it is I fractured my greater trochanter bone, and because after the fracture one of the bits of bone moved and it will never heal now so I'm on crutches permanantly.

I also have kypho scloliosis, {curvature in the spine} Oh yes....I'm 68 nbd female.

I cant say if yours  will ever get better. Sorry, someone else will be along to answer that one.

When I discovered that mine wouldnt heal and that I would be on crutches permanently the first thing i did was get rid of the NHS gre crutches {they are fine for 6 weeks or so} but if i have to have them I might as well make them an accessory . I bought myself pink ones  with black cuff.

I then bought another pair and these were lilac.

Beginning of december I wrapped fairy lights around the pink ones to make them look a bit more festivewink

The older I get the dafter I getcheesygrin

Can you drive and if so does this stop you driving?

I can still drive which is a blessing.  Not very far without that leg {clutch leg} getting sore butit gets me out and about and is a bit of independence

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi again Eileen....I'm so very very sorry...you've been through such a lot...you do sound a very gutsy lady.....and I love the idea of the fairy lights around your crutches...😂😂 I've also bought myself my own walking stick, it's also sycadelic...think that's the spelling...and like you I'm also getting dafter the older I get .... The thing with getting older is you don't really worry what people think when you act like a recycled teenager!!  Yes I can drive...thank goodness!! I was told my my hip surgeon that I may not be able to drive again with the dropped foot but I've proved him wrong..YEA!! And as you say it's lovely to have the independence ....wishing you the very best of luck and take very good care of yourself ...love Kath x
    • Posted

Hi Kath

I dont know if thats the spelling or not but I can type rubbish soI can read itsmile  I do know what you mean.

Yes I think if we were in our 20's or 30's we would be very self concious. But in our 60's.....well thats different  lol

There is a poem .......cant remember  it but something about when I'm old I'll wear a purple hat and it goes on in that strainsmile

Thats great that you can drive.....which foot is it?

I go into the sme Starbucks quite a lot and when I took the lights off they were disappointed ....then one of them said....what about little rabbits and things like that for Easter  LOL

I hope someone comes on and say that it will heal for you.

You take care of yourself......You sound as if you'll make it even if it doesnt heal. I do hope it does

Love

Eileen  UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.