Help with my hiatus hernia! Severe pain :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I was diagnosed in May with a hiatus hernia and also bile reflux. I was diagnosed as I went to hospital with severe chest and back pain. They gave me pain killers which had no affect and the doctor even said he had never known someone to be in such pain with a hernia and perhaps I didn't understand true pain and maybe if I had given birth I would have something to compare it to?! They have done an endoscopy and prescribed omprezole.

Yet again I have had another attack of severe chest and back pain to the point where I had to go to A&E and again much of the same advice was given. I'm beginning to feel really upset as I keep getting these bouts of extreme pain which then affect me for a couple of days after, discomfort when I walk etc.

basically I'm wanting to know if anyone has had anything similar and what they did about it? I'm having to take time off work which is becoming very stressful for me and I'm 23 and just don't want to have to live with this.

It doesn't seem like the attacks are caused by any particular food, drink or change in behaviour.

I would be so grateful for any help or advice

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is unusual to get severe pain with acid reflux though I do remember horrendous burning like a blow torch down my throat many years ago before my PPIs were first prescribed.

What form does the pain take? My worst pain was when I had cholecystitis and was taken to hospital in an ambulance to have my gall bladder remoevd - but that was abdominal pain rather than chest.

• Posted

I agree; the so called pains are quite different from non-chronic typical pain and is more like a slow burn.Only when it is real bad does the diaphram area have a knoch you out of breath or a stabbing like pain. The fact that the hietial hernia distress could and does effect the body otherwise is the rub that drves thye doctors  sratch thei  that I thinkit affectsz othe
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for the comments. Will give the aloe Vera juice a try. It's very strange as on a day to day basis I get no symptoms at all. No heartburn, reflux etc at all. The only thing I get are these "attacks" which usually start as back ache and gradually get worse to the point where I'm crippled with pain accross my chest and back. This pain lasts usually a whole night and half of the next day. Following this is a few days of discomfort high up in my stomach -mild pain when I take a deep breath, stand up, walk, put any kind of strain on my stomach.

Do you think this sounds diaphragm related as. You say?

• Posted

Hi Rachel

sorry to see your in such discomfort,, I myself was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago but have none of your symptoms thankfully, maybe it would be a good idea to do a food diary to see if you can pinpoint anything to your attacks. The doctor was a bit flippant in regards to your pain about comparing your pain to labour pains considering he's never likely to experience having a baby!! 

• Posted

Rachel,  if it is gas or high levels of acid causing your pain then maybe you could try aloe vera juice.  Very inexpensive at Publux grocery store.......

• Posted

i had a simillar pain before i started on the treatment for reflux(lansoprazole and cimetidine) four months ago.it was because my esophogus was highly inflamed due to acids.The medication has improved my symptoms now.i also try to avoid certain types of food and i lways have my meals 2 hrs before bed time.i don't feel as terrible as i used to four months ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.