Help with understanding PACs and AV Block

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, about 5 weeks ago I went to the hospital with chest pain, dizziness and a fluttery sensation in my chest. My blood pressure and heart rate were very high. My ECG showed PACs, but these are benign. Everything sinister was ruled out and I was sent home to follow up with my GP.

I followed up with my local dr and he got me to wear a 24 hour halter monitor. The results showed thousands of PACs during the day, some doubles and triples a couple of pauses. He explained that this is a benign arrhythmia and that I need to get further testing done with a cardiologist to understand the cause of the arrhythmia. I am booked in to see the cardiologist in a couple of weeks time. The symptoms (chest pain and a bit of fluttering and dizziness) have kept up pretty consistently for the 5 weeks. I have also had some mood drops (just like the flick of a switch feel sad/down but then, like the flick of a switch that passes). A recent ECG showed 1st degree AV block and more PACs.

My questions are - are chest pain and dizziness normal for this benign arrythmia? Do others get symptoms too. I keep reading that PACs and AV block are benign and have no symptoms. Also does anyone else suffer mood drops (the dr explained that he thinks this is maybe due to blood pressure fluctuations caused by the arrythmia, but he didn't sound very confident and I was just wondering if others get any mood drops).

Thanks very much. I am not too worried as I know this is a benign arrhythmia and the cardiologist will check for any cause etc. Just wondering what other people experience symptom wise, I have been having symptoms on and off each day for just over 5 weeks now (otherwise fit and healthy, 32 year old female, runner, not overweight, do not smoke, no coffee or tea and don't really drink much (just a glass or red wine every now and again)).

Thanks!!!!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I get a flutter or flip flop sensation in my chest, and can feel my heart beat in my chest without laying a hand upon it. Also I used to get the thuds which I was told was adrenaline, the pause or skipped beats are in fact premature/extra beats, but you only notice the pause, I have had racing heart beats high bp, the sensation of passing out, weak or heavy legs and the odd hyperventilation. However, I have never had or felt any pain and after ECG scans, blood tests, X-ray my heart was fine. After going to the GP he said it was Anxiety, I knew I wasn't myself as I felt low and my mood, well, it went on vacation. With Anxiety which there are many, many symptoms, you become overly, very overly aware of your body and start to pay far more attention at every glitch you experience and start to think and Google your symptoms of the worse case scenario. I know I did and it made me worse with worry, so after going to my GP he put me on 50mg of Sertraline a day, and Six weeks on I can't feel my heart beat in my chest, my paused beats (not many) I don't notice as much, and I'm back to my more cheerful self after my mood returned back from Holiday. I hope this has given you food for thought and no doubt the fantastic people on this forum who are more experienced than me, will be along with better advice x

• Posted

Hi DaveyDee,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. I am so glad to hear that in the last 6 weeks you have been feeling better - very happy to hear that smile

Thanks for the tip, I discussed anxiety with my doctors, but becuase I am not anxious about anything and have not suffered any anxiety in the past, they have ruled that out. You have given me food for thought though, because the flip flop sensation you describe is similar to what I feel (along with the chest pain, dizziness and feeling of not being able to take a full breath).

They are sending me back to the cardiologist for an echo and stress test just to try to find the cause of the PACs and 1st degree AV block that keep showing up on ECGs and the holter monitor. If they rule out any structural heart issue, I think I will ask them again about other potential causes including anxiety.

Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate you taking the time. Hope all keeps well with you

• Posted

I get the get feeling that I don't seem to take a full breath, and when I do, I get a big sigh. I hope they find the root of nuisance and discomfort Emma. Keep us up to date and I wish you all the best in resolving the matter, God speed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.