Help! Yeast infection and thrush after antibiotics - any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

I was put on Amoxicilin for a chest infection last week and 3/4 of the way through the course I developed vaginal thrush.  I have a churning/burning feeling in my tummy which tells me that I have a yeast infection/Candida.  I'm quite sure its not BV as I don't have the usual symtoms i.e. discharge.  The thrush hasn't cleared (like it normally does) with the Canesten cream and pessary.  I've tried natural organic bio yogurt which soothes, but the thrush is still there.  I've also had diarrohea for 3 days solid now, so again thinking its tummy problem.  

So I'm just bathing with cool water, a few times a day and using yogurt and before bed washing and using Canesten.  Has anybody had this after antibiotics?  I know they're great for healing but kill the good bacteria in gut and my tummy is a mess, I feel very emotional and low and wondering if anybody has experienced the above or tried anything that I haven't thought of.

Lastly I started the Actimel yogurts yesterday and ordered Kefir... hopefully it won't make issue worse?

Help MUCH appreciated 

F x.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frances thrush is a real pain you might need to repeat the canasten you can after four days take another one. Also try the probiotics you take by mouth femdophilus they target thrush . The other thing is garlic capsules that kills yeast. Don't eat sugar or carbs as that just feeds the thrush. Good luck it will clear eventually.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Liz.  I wondered if you have a brand of probiotics in mind?  And also if you have experience using Kefir?

Praying it will swifly pass! 

F x.

• Posted

Hi Frances Jarrow make femidopolus and are on Amazon. Never used kefir would not even know where to buy it from or what to do with it. If it works please let me know X
    • Posted

Thanks for advice on probiotics Liz.  However, I cultivated milk kefir grains 3 days in a row now and all is much better!  Kefir is a natural, organic culture that you can cultivate at home in milk. water or coconut water that produces/grows millions of good bacteria.  You can make your own probiotic yogurt with it too, but I just use milk.  

I did also use a pessary and cream another time and think my virus is clearing up, but the yeast infection from my tummy was definitely better with the Kefir. 

F x

• Posted

Hi Frances... Ive experienced same situation like yours. After taking antibiotics for a week, there are a lot of yeast/trush discharhes coming out and its very itchy and sometimes causes rashes. I went to my OB, had papsmear and gram stain test (still waiting for the result) and also she gave me Neo penotran forte vaginal suppository for a week, 2nd day now, its for anti fungal treatment. She also gave me funzela oral tablet which is the same for anti fungal antibacterial treatment but this is only for a single.dosage . Since Im on my second day of medication under neo penotran, I feel comfortable now, no itchiness nor unusual yeast discharges.Hopefully, itll be gone so soon. Maybe you can have your OB check about your situation .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.