Help! Zoloft failed and wants to start me on Cymbalta & Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Xanax for around 4yrs & now doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I also now have depression on top of anxitiy and I was put on Zoloft after 5 wks on that  had worst depression & side effects. She took me off & now wants me to start Cymbalta 30mg & Mirtazapine 15mg. Has anyone taken them & did they work? I don't want anymore bad side effects. I also read they could increase your blood pressure..I am on a blood pressure med now, so I don't want to increase my pressure because of these drugs. I had to fill out a questioner on my health & meds I am taking so my Dr should be aware of this.Also I have 2 glasses of wine every night to take the edge off because the xanax doesn't seem to help with that anymore. I would appreciate some feed back please!!!!!!!!!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Linda,

I don't want to come across as anti medication because it plays a very important role in our recovery. What I do have a problem with is the use of ANY amount of alcohol to 'take the edge off' as it is a well known depressant. Besides, it is just another drug to add to the mix. Given your blood pressure problems I would have thought that the aim should be to reduce meds and possibly replace with other therapies like meditation, exercise yoga etc etc as a way to reduce anxiety. There is only one certainty and that is that alcohol has no therapeutic role at all. Take care you are worth it.

• Posted

WOW    xanax   how many mg a day , you dont say.   benzos on there own cause depression after long term , that why i take small  amount of  zoloft  a day 50mg or if on lexapro just 5mg is the same strenth  , drinking  wine every night   is a bad move. alcohol puts you to sleep but for about 2 hours then your up all night . MIRTAZAPINE will make you fat, and cymbalta  wont work believe me no with xanax, try lexapro at 10mg  and stick to it, you always get worse before better 
    • Posted

I have been taking 1mg xanax in morning & sometimes 0.5 in afternoon.

I have tried Lexapro years ago & it worked for me with (no xanax) involved. I went back on it in 2014 10mg nothing then increased to 20 mg again didn't work.

• Posted

took you off of zoloft at 5 weeks  it takes about 7 to work on me , you pro  came off just has it was abou to hit  . the XANAX  is the problem
  • Posted

Did you stop the xanax? I know what u mean because it doesn't seem to help me much, at least like it used to. Maybe your Dr can prescribe you something different? Like valum, at I can, etc. Usually depression and anxiety go hand and hand. Zoloft didn't help so you are trying another medication. No worries. I don't have personal experience with Cymbalta however I've never heard anything bad about it. Try to hang in there. Finding your right "cocktail" can be very trying, but believe and keep the faith. Also, I've learned the hard way not to read up in meds on line. Every medicine works different for another. I feel when you read a negative review, you out it in your head that its not going to help you. Try hard to not Google your meds. Ask your dr questions. Write them down and bring to your appointment if you have to. Two glasses of wine a night? Hmmmm...not a good idea. Alcohol is a downer, it only makes you feel worse. I wouldn't drink. It definitely contributes to increase your depression/anxiety. Try to stay positive. Maybe keep a log in how you feel from day to day so you can tell if the meds are helping. Chin up. You're not alone and things will be ok. ??

• Posted

you still not said the xanax you take, your are prob  well hooked up on it , it ill be hard to kick it  , i take 6mg of ativan a day and i can never come of that  now  , 1 mg  xanax  is the same has 2 mg of ativan ,
    • Posted

Thanks Nicole, I spoke to a nurse at work & turns out she is on Cymbalta. She said I shouldn't worry about useing it & give it a chance.

So this weekend I will start it just in case of any side effects & I'm off Monday so I think it's the best time. She didn't know about the Mirtazine so I'll try that also.

• Posted

I could not tolerate Cymbalta bad side effects! Also Prozac was a no go! Now on Generic Zoloft 100mil! Been on this for 10 days waiting for a miracle! Slight side effects!
    • Posted

Good Luck Wilb, I'm going to try the Cymbalta & see what happens!!

• Posted

Wilb, what was your side effects?? How long did u give it a chance before going off?
    • Posted

I was only on it for 2weeks but I felt terrible the whole time! Nervous, jittery and naseous! However I was told by a psychiatrist on line that I did not give it enough time to work! 
    • Posted

I feel the same way & extremely tired second day taking.

I also am afraid to eat in fear of getting diarrhea plus no appitite anyway.

How long did your psychiatrist say it took to actually work????

I must go to work Tuesday so really confused what to do!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.