Helpfull advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 18 an just past the 3 month mark of my recovery after spinal fusion. All my lofe i have trained in martial arts and boxing and was wondering if anyone knew of any reason ot way this would stop me ? Also i am about to start swimming a few times a week

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, this is definetley something you should be discussing with your surgeon who check to see if you are ready for such physical activity.

Personally my surgeon did recomend swimming as a good way to strengthen yourself (but I couldn't do this for a year after my surgery).

Again your surgeon is the one best suited to make an informed decision who holds all the detail and could possibly check new xrays to see if you are. physically ready for martial arts, and wouldnt put your spine under too much stress.

Dan smile

(and I'm 22year old, 6 years post op for kyphoscoliosis)

• Posted

Gona stick to tha shallow end of the pool an no fighting for a long time just hoping i could eventually

Thanks for your help smile

• Posted

Hi for now just put ya mind in recovery uve had a big operation. Need time to heal. Then if u want to do kick boxing etc ask ya dr .
    • Posted

Ye of couse no fighting for a long time just hopping i can carry on fighting in a few years

Thanks for your help smile

• Posted

Your story hits close to home for me. I'm 37 years old, and was a gymnast before my 2 rods were put in.

So let's cut to the chase.You can't do what most people do anymore.You get hit in the wrong place, or fall wrong, you're screwed.I couldn't even ride a bike after my surgery,because if I fell, the rods had a chance of penetrating my heart.Rods, or no rods, you have a disease.

Swimming is awesome, and so is running.

I have recently began donating platelets,to make a difference, but I can't donate bone marrow because of this disease, and the repercussions.This  was a big thing for me, because I want to be more than normal,I want to be great. You have to find your own path to greatness, and it may not be through athletics. Donate,your platelet donation will save lives every time you donate.

Be great in what you can, and forget what you have moved past.

Only the most special of souls are given this burden.Your fighting days are over, it's time to move forward, and embrace your purpose! You'll be O.K.,and guess what? I own an award winning company, and put most men to shame.You have no idea what's around the corner-Just embrace your life, and body.It's yours, and has much potential.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.