Hemiplegic Migraine is ruining me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

Hope someone can offer some advice!

I've suffered migraine since I was 9 I've had some serious one and the usual I could cope with. Been on lots of various Meds for them I am now 26

Over the last month I've been having what I can only describe as living hell worst migraine ever, sickness numbness, confusions, can't get words out, can't see, light sensitively, thinking my head is going to blow up a ON top on the usual migraine symptoms which resulted to 4 days stay in hospital and recently diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines.

I've had the CT scan and Lumber puncture to rule anything else's out but the hospital discharged me 2 days ago (New Years eve) and to return for a MRI as an out paitent which is great.

It's now the 3rd of Jan and The headache is still going strong The numbness down my right side comes and goes, can't get words out and I'm totally confused when it hits peak! I've just came out of a cupboard I've been sitting in for nearly 2 hours (darkest place I could find) and I've still got headache but it's calmed down from mega peak I'm in tears and I can't do this anymore!

I returned to A&E last night but place was in turmoils and the doc sent me home! He said that I just need to get on with the fact I have a chronic illness. The a&e room was so busy and The police were everywhere I could see they were under mega pressure so I got a bag of fluids and off I home to try and sleep it off but woken at 4am it's back again.

I've been prescribed so many different medication, cut triggers out from old migraine diagnoses but since the hemiplegic diagnosed I've not been on any different medication since I've not seen my GP as they are shut for the new year period, My docs don't open for another day and I may not even get an appointment and I don't know what to do anymore! I am really struggling with the pain and severity of these! I feel like throwing myself out the window when peak hits! Although I won't do that and I know it's the pain but I don't know what to do anymore!

I will be seeing the doc on Wednesday hopefully and I wondering if there is anything I should be asking for or certain medication. The national health service is Scotland is not that great it has its up and downs, of course I'm thankful for it but I just could do with some words of wisdom with someone that knows what I'm going through. I'm worried about the future with these and it's just scaring me a lot!

I've also had terrible periods all my life and wondered if there is any link there.

Any help would be fantastic

Thanks so much in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I do not know what life is without pain, just like you described, including temporary aphasia... I am not a doctor, but I have always been good at solving any type of problem - try a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication. After a couple of weeks acclimation period, my 24/7/365 migraine reduced down to a couple per month.

• Posted

Dearest Lilly, Ian so sorry that you are going through this. I have been suffering with migraines for 28 yrs. I know it is ver difficult to find a good neurologist buy you nut keep looking for one. I live in Chicago where we have a famous headache clinic. People come from all over the world to get help. My migraines have always been hormonal. I always got a migraine before and during my menses. When I've had terrible episodes, I open a bottle of rubbing alcohol and sniff it to open my blood vessels. It helps for an instant and feels good. I also put my hands in the hottest water or take a very hot shower. I control my headaches with Zomig nasal spray and Relpax with NO side effects. In the past, I had Topamax and Botox with terrible side effects and no relief! I pray that you don't give up and get the help you need. Hugs from Chicago.

Love,

Alicia

• Posted

hello Lilly,

It sounds like you been going through a really bad time lately and trust me all of us on this forum have or are going through that too.

Hemiplegic migraine is what I get too, so completely understand you.

I take Flunarizine at night and I am in a Botox program and since starting this regime I havent had an attack since January, which is amazing since last year I was in hospital every other week with them.

A link between bad periods and these migraines is always possible, although no link has been discovered as yet.  Stress does cause a problem and it did in my case the Neuro said.  So if you have a lot of stress, try to find ways to reduce it.

If you get a lot of eye pain with this migraine Lily I have been advised to take 900mg of Aspirin for no longer than 10 days a month, BUT and it is a big but, you have to watch your tummy and make sure you take after food, I also take Esomeprazole to protect it as well.

Good luck Lilly, do let us know how you get on with the MRI, did they say how long you have to wait for it?

Keep us updated please, best wished and take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.