Hemochromatosis and Anemia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been rereading some responses about the risk of anemia if you are giving blood too often or if the hemoglobin levels are too low.  And I have read online that you can simultaneously have hemochromatosis and anemia.  Can someone explain this to me?  How is that possible? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan,

Haemoglobin (Hb) is the iron containing molecule in blood cells that carries oxygen around the body - it's different to the iron that is stored in the body's tissues - the excess stored iron being the definition of haemachromatosis .You become anaemic if your haemaglobin (Hb) level drops. This can happen even with HHC because after giving blood it takes a few days for the stored iron to be mobilised to replace the (Hb) iron that has been removed. If you give blood too frequently then the Hb may not have time to recover before the next venesection.

• Posted

Hi Jan

I will be interested to know what people think of this,I was told when

First diagnosed the aim was to get my iron levels down aiming to.

Get slightly towards anaemia, then they would stop venesection???

But as my levels are still at 661 I assumed it would be sometime before

I got to this stage,but when I questioned why I felt tired/lightheaded

And generally unwell,my own doctor check my blood results and found

My hemoglobin levels were slightly down, and that is why I was feeling the

Way I was,so what will they do if my hemoglobin levels keep dropping

And I still have 661 of iron to get rid of?????.my next venesection is

The 1.9.16 where I will be looking for answers???from the clinic

Cheers phil

• Posted

All my life from a child I've had anemia

Last blood test showed I had the gene type hemochrombtosis

I've yet to start my treatment

I suffer from other illnesses crohns, ulcerative colitis vitamin D deficiency

So trying to find what foods I can have which don't interfere with any of my illnesses is a nightmare

• Posted

Hi

I don't know a lot re onset hemochromatosis in ladies,but little bits

I read ,in early life it may not show up because of menstruation.

So depending on your age this may be why it's now shown up.

But on this forum we have some very clued up ladies who will tell

You more,what is your ferritin level, once you start venesection it's

Just like giving blood donation only more frequently.

Any questions also telephone or email the hemochromatosis society

They are very good.

With your your tag Brummie girl are you from Birmingham., I live

In selly oak area

Cheers Phil x

• Posted

I hear you...  though not nearly as difficult to manage as crohns, I have lymphocytic colitis - which I still don't know how to manage. I find dairy, sugars and some starches to be a problem...  but some of the "allowed" foods are iron absorption enhancers!  So what is left??  Good luck with your illnesses though...  that's a lot to handle!

• Posted

Hi ,

I'm originally from Solihull but moved to derby 8 years ago

I think your right about it not showing up due to menstuation as I had an eblasion 9 years ago

Im still learning about hemochromatsis

I wasn't informed about my level I was just diagnosed & told i had the gene type

And I will be sent to have treatment soon

I'm still learning about the illness & trying to find how it affects different people so I can be aware & put different symptoms down to having the illness

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.